2018 is drawing to a close and it was an interesting year for cars and car companies, to say the least! And now that 2019 is right around the corner, it’s time to make some predictions for the car world that this new year will bring. What do you think is going to happen?
Just for fun, I went back and took a gander at last year’s predictions from you guys. Obviously, nobody could call some of the surprises we had this year, like the death of Sergio Marchionne and Carlos Ghosn’s arrest. But some of the other predictions were pretty spot on!
Some forecasts included:
- “GM will still mostly suck,” which, uh, is true depending on who you ask.
- “The continuing of the slow, agonizing death of the sedan,” which turned out to be extremely true.
- “Manufacturers... offering a manual in lots of hatches and performance cars.” Hell yeah that happened! You can get a Genesis G70 with a manual option and we just learned last month that the new Mazda3 will also offer a manual.
- “BMW will continue down its path of killing its own heritage by starting to really kill off the manuals in their cars.” Yep, that’s the new 3 Series, kids.
- “The much hated Toyota Camry will continue to be a better car than anyone is willing to admit, with comfort, features and performance numbers that would have been completely unheard of just a few years before.” I don’t know about you, but we were extremely stoked about a 300-hp Camry.
Personally, I have extremely high hopes for the upcoming Porsche Taycan. I predict that it will be the electric car to beat next year.
Now it’s time to bring out your automotive crystal balls and tea leaves. Gaze into the future, friends. Tell me what you see.