A black Lamborghini Aventador burned itself up like a protesting Buddhist monk this morning in Southern California according to a poster on Luxury4Play. And here we thought self-immolation was a Ferrari trademark. UPDATE!
The owner is ok, but the gorgeous black bull is sadly a pile of blackened metal.
We've got decent details on the fire thanks to an astute forum member who pulled down the information from a traffic site:
Car Fire - 73 South Past El Toro Rd 12:06 PM
* Black Lambo on Right Shoulder, Visual of Flames//ptys Oo Vehicle 12:06 PM
* Left Rear Wheel on Fire 12:07 PM
* Message/Item Delivered Sta 91 12:07 PM
* CHP Unit Assigned 12:09 PM
* Per Sales Associate Will Contact Lambo Newport Bch for Tow Info 12:10 PM
* CHP Unit on Scene 12:19 PM
* All 3 Lanes Closed, Using Center Divider to Move Vehicle Around 12:22 PM
* Prty Has Prvt Tow En Route 12:23 PM
* #1 Lane of Et On Ramp to South 73 Blocked By Fire 12:24 PM
* Thomas Guide Map Coordinates: 921 3C
The "left rear wheel on fire" points to a non-collision incident, although it's too early to speculate what caused it.
Hopefully, this is just a one-off and not the start of a trend.
(Hat tip to Robb!)