Nice Price Or Crack PipeIs this used car a good deal? You decide!  

Volkswagen’s in-house design for its second-gem Scirocco may not have been as successful as the Giugiaro original, but as today’s Nice Price or Crack Pipe example proves, it has aged pretty well. Will its price however also grow on you?

Have you ever been to the bar at a Black Angus? Is there a bottle of Axe Body Spray in your bathroom? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then you might have been among the 36% of voters who went Nice Price on yesterday’s 1980 Corvette. The remaining 64% of you who went Crack Pipe probably drink at a watering hole called “Al’s” and prefer to smell of STP and sweat over any sort of perfume. Hey, but who am I to judge?

Advertisement

Yeah, the older Corvette’s do engender stereotypes, but then again, so do Volkswagens, just ones that you might nazi coming. This 1985 Scirocco is thankfully stereotype-free. It’s also a Wolfsburg edition and represents one of the world’s most preeminent FWD sport coupes of the Eighties.

Have you ever seen the movie She’s All That where all it takes to turn a high school girl from frumpy to fabulous is to take off her Poindexter glasses and squeeze her into a tight black dress? That’s exactly the sort of transformation that VW realized when in the Seventies they took the family friendly Golf and turned it into the swinging single Scirocco. For that first effort, Giorgetto Giugiaro played the Freddie Prinze Jr. part.

Advertisement

This ’85 is the second generation and its in-house transformation was a little less successful than its predecessor’s, especially in the U.S. where huge bumpers spoiled spoiled both ends. It was sort of like trying to transform that dorky high school girl and having her unexpectedly turn into Coco Austin.

This Wolfsburg edition overcomes that a bit by having its bumpers painted in the same Tornado Red as the rest of the car, instead of the more common grey plastic. Of course that can’t help the gargantuan front overhang. The rest of the body looks to be in excellent shape - albeit not as pretty as the Giugiaro car - and the ad notes that it has been garaged and car-covered its entire life.

Advertisement

The interior seems to be in likewise nice shape, although the 80s-tastic shearling seat covers on the two front thrones may be hiding some nasty surprises. Alternatively, they may just be protecting the upholstery below and making you uncontrollably want to drive pants-less. Multitasking FTW!

The car is claimed to be completely stock aside from those sheep seat snoods and hence comes with the 90-horse 1.8-litre SOHC four, famed of story and song.

Advertisement

No, it’s not a 16V, so put it back in your pants. Well, it is a 5-speed so maybe you can get a little excited. You might also find the working A/C and low mileage - 59,000 on the clock - something to celebrate.

It’s getting so that stock Sciroccos are getting harder and harder to find. This one looks to be a fine example of the second generation - and a Wolfie too. It’s said to be a two-owner car, although like back-woods marriages it’s still been kept in the family the whole time.

The price is $6,900 and that gets you not just the car but a second set of tires as well. What’s your take on that price for this VW? Does that seem like a screamin’ deal? Or, is this a Scirocco with a price that blows?

Advertisement

You decide!

Seattle Craigslist, or go here if the ad disappears.

H/T to wineslinger for the hookup!

Help me out with NPOCP. Click here to send a me a fixed-price tip, and remember to include your Kinja handle.