Button admitted that he enjoyed 60 percent of the race, while the other 40 percent was “a bit silly, the amount we were hitting each other.” He also admitted to suffering from heat exhaustion despite wearing a cool suit, requiring him to stop twice to be doused in ice and water.

But he took the checkered flag in 18th position, which is one hell of an impressive debut for a man who hasn’t actually really raced in three years. It wasn’t easy for Button — but his candid perspective on an entirely new form of racing has been incredibly enlightening.