Just in time for the Fourth of July, here’s our ultimate tip for a summer weekend, courtesy of ingenious Hungarians, and a bare-bones Home Depot shopping list.
My ex-colleague Tamás Rácz, editor-in-chief of Vezess, a Hungarian motoring magazine, presents a wonderful and cheap way to turn utilitarian tools into deranged Independence Day fun. All you need is a pickup truck and a quick trip to Home Depot to pick up the following items:
- A tarp
- A piece of garden hose
- Duct tape
Per Mr. Rácz’s guidance, assembly instructions (as if you needed them):
- Arrange tarp in truck bed, allowing for overhangs
- Fill with water from a source of your choice
- Secure tarp’s edges to truck with duct tape
- Tape one end of hose in exhaust pipe
- Put other end of hose in water
- Purchase beer
- Bribe friend with beer to operate engine at steady revs
- Drink remaining beer
That’s about it. The truck he’s used for this lovingly photographed demonstration is a tiny Romanian-built Dacia Logan ($7500–8000), but if there’s one thing I’m sure you’ll have no trouble procuring in the U. S. of A., it’s a truck with more generous proportions.
Now go and make it happen. Don’t let America down.
Photo Credit: Vezess