Toyota's top-of-the-line Japanese model since the 1950s is the Crown, a JDM-only sedan. The Toyota Crown Majesta trim has been announced for Japanese execs with a nationalistic bent and a need for exclusiveness
The new Crown Majesta is the fifth iteration of the super-Crown and wears a longer wheelbase and subtle styling differences over the standard car. The front end gets the biggest changes, with a unique grill and lower fascia, but other than that the upgrades come inside. There are two captains chairs swathed in Japanese leather in the back with a full host of entertainment options. The Majesta is the first to get Toyota's new center rear airbag which deploys between rear seat passengers, which will no-doubt lead to yet another front in the safety-wars. It also gets an automatic parking system, a night vision system and all the other electronic nannies which equal luxury these day.
Enduring presence and high-quality
The extended wheelbase, 75mm longer than the previous series, creates a roomy and comfortable interior.
* Longer wheelbase creates ample legroom for rear-seat passengers
* Total vehicle length under 5 meters ensures greater maneuverability in cramped traffic environments
Based on the Toyota brand "Vibrant Clarity" design philosophy, horizontal accents create a flowing silhouette, while the long wheelbase generates a style both commanding in appearance and expressive of vitality.
The wide instrument panel creates expansiveness, while individual components from the center cluster to the console are clear-cut, emphasizing the quality of the materials used.
The steering wheel, shift knob and ornament panel feature carefully selected, fine-grain wood to create a luxurious cabin atmosphere.
Optitron Meters (standard) and thin film transistor LCD Finegraphic Meters (optional) provide vivid and clear information to the driver.
* Speedometer displays in both digital and analog format; lane and other information also displayed
* Steering-wheel-affixed switch allows changing screen display to show fuel efficiency, Eco Zone Indicator (for environmentally considerate driving) and Night View system (see "Safety" section)
Seat frames can be finely adjusted to provide comfortable seating even during long periods of driving.
* Type G and Type G "F Package" feature premium Japanese leather seats
* Power Easy Access System slides driver's seat back and tilts steering wheel upward and forward, facilitating smooth ingress and egress for driver
The HDD navigation system is compatible with the G-BOOK mX Pro telematics service and is equipped with multi-media and other advanced functions such as Map on Demand, which provides automatic map and information updates.
A rear-seat entertainment system features a high-resolution 9-inch monitor built into the cabin ceiling.
The Toyota Premium Sound System, with a 19-channel amplifier and 20 speakers, offers sound quality comparable to a live performance.
Enhanced performance and advanced technologies
The two-wheel-drive models feature a 4.6-liter V8 engine that enhances driving performance, quietness and fuel efficiency. The engine is paired with an 8 Super ECT transmission with a driving response and acceleration management system to achieve smooth and powerful cruising.
* Four-wheel-drive models employ 4.3-liter V8 engine with 6 Super ECT
* 4.6-liter engine uses advanced D-4S (direct injection four-stroke gasoline engine, superior version) fuel injection system, coupled with electrically controlled Variable Valve Timing-intelligent system (VVT-iE) for improved driving performance and fuel efficiency
Electronically controlled air suspension, standard on all models, provides comfortable handling through the advanced control of vehicle roll. The suspension system receives cornering information and accumulated road surface-difference information from the navigation system and then optimizes shock-absorber damping force to enhance handling, cruising stability and ride quality.
Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM), which coordinates control of drive power, steering and brakes, comes standard on all models to ensure excellent vehicle stability and preventive safety performance even on slippery road surfaces.
The use of noise-reducing glass and optimal body-structure design, together with best placement of vibration-controlling and sound-blocking materials, achieves outstanding interior quietness.
The TMC-developed, world-first Front-side Pre-crash Safety System (part of overall Pre-crash Safety System) uses millimeter-wave radar to detect probable front-side collisions at intersections with good visibility.
The TMC-developed, world-first Pre-crash Seatbacks bring reclined rear seats to an upright position when the vehicle's Pre-crash Safety System detects a high probability of a front- or rear-end collision, thereby positioning rear occupants appropriately to lessen injuries caused by impact.
A stereo camera can detect pedestrians in front of the vehicle, with a warning displayed to the driver when necessary.
The "Night View" system uses a near-infrared camera to display difficult-to-see pedestrians, objects and sections of the road in front of the vehicle. The system also comes with a special pedestrian detection and display function.
The vehicle employs an advanced Global Outstanding Assessment (GOA) collision-safety body.
Ten SRS airbags, including rear-seat side airbags, are standard on all models.
The advanced car navigation system facilitates the entering and exiting of highways.
* Using road-map data, system enables smooth acceleration when merging into highway traffic from on-ramps or service areas by controlling gear-change timing, as well as increasing engine braking for smooth deceleration when exiting highways or approaching tollbooths
* System uses road-map data to inform driver of upcoming stop signs, issuing warning if driver is late in decelerating; navigation-system-linked brake-assist function supports driver in emergency braking, helping reduce vehicle speed
The Intelligent Parking Assist system uses ultrasonic sensors installed in the front of the vehicle to detect parking-space parameters. The system then helps the driver when parallel parking or when backing into the parking space by informing the driver when to turn the steering wheel and where to start backing up.
Product lineup aims to satisfy all occupants
The number of trim grades in the series has been increased from five to six.
The Type A "L Package" includes Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS), which optimizes the angle of the front wheels in relation to steering wheel turn and vehicle speed, thereby enhancing driving pleasure by providing excellent handling response in line with the driver's intent.
The four-seat Type G "F Package" provides a safe and comfortable rear-seat space.
* One of total of 11 SRS airbags in vehicle is world's first SRS rear-seat center airbag, which was designed to lessen secondary injuries caused by rear-seat passengers colliding with each other in side-on collisions
* Controls for such functions as air conditioning, audio and seat-reclining are all located on large, rear-seat, center console
* Rear-seat passengers can adjust large wing-type headrests to their preferred angle and enjoy audio via inlaid headrest speakers
* Rear "air seats" can blow warm or cool air, while left rear seat boasts automatic leg rest that allows leg extension and comfortable support for passenger
Environmental impact reductions
Efforts were made to improve fuel efficiency and reduce CO2 emissions. The Type A model achieves a fuel efficiency of 9.4km/l (CO2 emissions: 247g/km). The Type G, Type G "F Package", Type C and Type A "L Package" all meet the 2010 fuel efficiency standards specified by the Japanese Law Concerning the Rational Use of Energy. In addition, all vehicles in the series achieve emissions levels 75% lower than the 2005 standards under the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Approval System for Low-emission Vehicles.
An Eco Driving Indicator that lights up to signify fuel-efficient vehicle operation and an Eco Zone Indicator that shows throttle use aim to raise driver awareness toward environmentally friendly driving. Both are standard on all models.
Toyota employed its Eco-Vehicle Assessment System (Eco-VAS)-a comprehensive environmental impact assessment system-to efficiently achieve overall reduction of environmental impact throughout the vehicle's lifecycle.
A review of the materials, processing methods, and adhesives used for interior parts resulted in a reduction in the amount of volatile organic compounds, such as formaldehyde. The review also helped reduce the sometimes discomforting odors emitted from such materials to below the values outlined in the JAMA2 "Vehicle Cabin VOC Testing Methods (for Passenger Cars)", which are voluntary industry standards.
1As of February 2009, as surveyed by TMC
2Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association
Motomachi Plant, Toyota Motor Corporation