If you're going to be traveling in an area where you're at risk for severe wintry weather you should always travel with an emergency kit. You never know when telephone service will get knocked out and you will be left stranded. Here's what a kit should include:
- Flashlight with plenty of batteries
- Handcrank or battery-powered NOAA Weather Radio with optional cell-phone charger.
- High calorie and high energy food such as snack bars, dried fruit, candy, fruit rollups. Anything that doesn't need cooking.
- Water, lots of water. Dehydration is a major concern in these kinds of storms.
- Medical necessities such as prescription drugs and baby supplies.
- Blankets/Sleeping Bag to keep you warm
- Extra cltohes
- Waterproof matches and a can for melting snow (don't eat frozen snow!)
- A large can with toilet paper for... ahem... your business
- A friend
Return to "How To Winterize Your Car In Ten Easy Steps."