FoMoCo's Lincoln brand's released pricing on their new CUV hotness, the MKX. The base model will start at $34,795 and the AWD model hits the showroom floors at $36,445. Our first reaction, after the obligatory bugs bunny double take, rubbing of the eyes, and yelling of "Zoinks!" was to question the reasoning behind the MKX's almost $10,000 differential in price from the Ford Edge, it's badge-engineered CUV-cousin. Other than fine corinthian leather, what do you get for the money you work hard for? Well — you actually do seem to get a significantly upgraded interior and...umm...hmm...well...we're not so much sure what else. All the other stuff we'd normally point to like nav system, heated seats, sunroof, etc. all comes added atop that base price. So apparently, the extra $10K gets you a pretty new interior, a non-razor-blade front end, and a pretty little badge on the exterior which says "Lincoln." Money well spent. Full press release after the jump.
2007 LINCOLN MKX STARTS UNDER $35,000, LEADS LINCOLN'S STRONGEST PRODUCT LINEUP
* Lincoln to launch its first crossover - Lincoln MKX - to compete in fast-growing luxury CUV segment.
* Front-wheel drive Lincoln MKX begins at $34,795. All-wheel drive model starts at $36,445. Prices include $675 destination and delivery.
* Lincoln MKX boasts innovative technologies like available adaptive headlamps, an all-glass panoramic Vista Roof , heated and cooled front seats, THX-II audio, DVD-based navigation and standard AdvanceTrac with RSC .
DEARBORN , Mich. , Sept. 22, 2006 - As crossover sales escalate at a blistering pace, the all-new 2007 Lincoln MKX joins the Lincoln showroom this November at a starting price under $35,000. It takes on a highly competitive market, challenging established players with a host of advantages - including value.
Even when exceptionally well equipped with the Ultimate package - which includes features like adaptive headlamps, chrome wheels, and heated and cooled front seats - the Lincoln MKX is still priced below the base sticker of all of its top competitors.
"The new Lincoln MKX delivers the features luxury customers want at the best value in its class," says Al Giombetti, president, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury. "It will enter one of the hottest segments in the market and show customers that American luxury can be both desirable and attainable. At the same time, we're building on the success of the Zephyr with the launch of the new Lincoln MKZ mid-size sedan. These strong new entries, plus our best Navigator ever and the all-new Navigator L, give us an outstanding opportunity to attract new customers to Lincoln showrooms."
The new Lincoln MKX features a starting manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP) of $34,795 for front-wheel drive and $36,445 for all-wheel drive models, including $675 for destination and delivery.
A Confident New Player
The Lincoln MKX makes a refined luxury statement with its dynamic American styling. Its distinctive chrome grille, clean, flowing lines and broad-shouldered athletic stance communicate confidence and elegance. Eighteen-inch Euroflange wheels and dual chrome exhaust tips signal power and performance. Wraparound tail lamps and a spoiler complete the rear.
Innovative technologies on the Lincoln MKX combine art and functionality. An all-glass available panoramic Vista Roof allows customers to experience open-air freedom at the touch of a button. Distinctive lighting includes a Lincoln first: available adaptive headlamps that swivel around curves, pivoting as the driver steers and lighting up to 36 more feet of roadway around a corner. In addition, an LED liftgate panel provides edge-to-edge illumination.
Inside, the five-passenger Lincoln MKX delivers exceptional comfort along with Lincoln's hallmark craftsmanship. Its luxurious leather seating features Ford's first application of its patent-pending Active Comfort Engineering process, with specialized contours helping to reduce pressure points and fatigue. The second-row seats recline to a best-in-class angle and can fold and pivot in one movement. Lincoln MKX provides comfort for all passengers, no matter the temperature, with available heated and cooled seats. The spacious center console offers customers versatility, with a standard MP3 audio jack and a power point hidden inside. Three additional power points also are provided in the cabin.
A host of innovative features keeps Lincoln MKX customers connected and in command. An optional a DVD rear-seat entertainment system plays DVDs or CDs with infrared remote. Lincoln MKX also features an intuitive DVD-based navigation system, able to deliver text-to-speech information in English, Spanish or French. An available THX-II sound system and available SIRIUS satellite radio also contribute to the Lincoln business class experience.
The Lincoln MKX delivers smooth power on demand for effortless driving enjoyment. It's powered by Ford's new fuel-efficient 265 horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 engine, paired with the class-exclusive 6-speed transmission automatic transmission. The independent front and rear suspension are luxury tuned for responsive ride and handling. As the quietest Lincoln ever, Lincoln MKX is designed to give customers a quiet ride on virtually any road surface. Ford engineers have introduced noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) absorbers behind nearly every trim panel of the Lincoln MKX for new levels of refinement and quietness.
The available intelligent AWD system on the Lincoln MKX delivers luxury performance and offers confident all-weather driving. It continuously monitors vehicle speed and throttle input and seamlessly delivers torque to all four wheels as needed, helping improve balance when cornering.
The Lincoln MKX is available in a single series, featuring a full complement of standard premium equipment along with select options, making it easy for customers to order. Customers may select standalone options, or choose the Ultimate and Elite option packages for additional value (available for FWD and AWD models).
Key standard features include:
* New 265 horsepower 3.5-liter V-6, certified on regular 87-octane fuel
* Class-exclusive 6-speed automatic transmission
* Luxurious interior, with genuine wood, leather, and satin nickel trim
* 18-inch 8-spoke machined aluminum Euroflange wheels
* Wraparound tail lamps and full-width LED lighting panel
* MP3 audio input jack
* 8-way power adjustable driver/passenger seat
* Front Wheel Drive (FWD)
* Excellent NVH characteristics and unique suspension
* Dual zone electronic automatic temperature control with particulate air filter
* Standard safety features including: industry leading AdvanceTrac with RSC , ABS, Safety Canopy with rollover sensor, front- and front seat side-impact air bags, occupant classification system, adjustable head restraints, LATCH system and Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
Lincoln MKX Options
Ultimate Package includes:
* Adaptive headlamps
* 10-way power driver and front passenger seats, including power lumbar support
* Heated and cooled front seats
* Driver memory seats and mirrors
* 18-inch 8-spoke chrome-clad aluminum Euroflange wheel
* Power liftgate
* Reverse Sensing System
* EasyFold second-row remote seat release
* Easy entry driver's seat and driver's side electrochromic exterior mirror
Elite Package* includes:
* Panoramic Vista Roof with dual power sunshades
* DVD-based navigation system with a 6.5-inch-wide screen and text-to-speech technology for travel directions aloud in English, Spanish or French
* THX II-Certified audio system with 14 speakers and 600 Watts of power
* SIRIUS satellite radio with six-month subscription
* Each feature in this package is also available as a standalone option.
Additional standalone options include:
* Rear-seat DVD Entertainment System
* Class II trailer tow
* Heated rear seats
The Lincoln MKX already is turning heads as it crosses the U.S. in a 10-city tour, "Savor the Dream," which gives consumers an advanced look and test-drive opportunity before the vehicle arrives in showrooms later this fall. "Savor the Dream" is a lifestyle showroom tour that plays into a key passion of Lincoln consumers: fine food served in a casually elegant setting. It encourages consumers to enjoy all of life's best moments. The tour features celebrity chef Rocco Dispirito and top local chefs from each market. Thousands of consumers are turning out to see the Lincoln MKX, along with the new Lincoln MKZ, the new Navigator and all-new Navigator L. The tour runs through mid November.
With crossover sales projected to reach 3 million units by the end of the decade, Lincoln's first luxury crossover offers the brand a unique opportunity to reach new consumers. Lincoln MKX already is generating considerable buzz. Since January, more than 380,000 consumers have visited the Lincoln MKX Build & Price Web site on www.lincoln.com, producing more than 140,000 configurations. About 65 percent of respondents said they were somewhat or very likely to purchase or lease the vehicle they configured.
If This Is The Future of Lincoln... [internal]