Two Carbon Monoxide Injuries Spark Recall of 64,000 Chevrolet Volts

Illustration for article titled Two Carbon Monoxide Injuries Spark Recall of 64,000 Chevrolet Volts

Chevrolet Volt owners are inadvertently leaving their plug-in hybrids runnings in their garages, causing the battery to drain, the engine to fire up, and leading to two carbon monoxide-related injuries. Now GM is recalling around 64,000 Volts.


The recall affects 2011 through 2013 model Volts – 50,249 from the U.S. and another 13,937 in Canada, essentially all the plug-in hybrids sold during that time.

The problem stems from owners forgetting to shut off the car when it's in electric mode. When the battery is depleted, the engine kicks in and begins to recharge the pack. "If the gas engine runs for a long period of time within an enclosed space, such as a garage, carbon monoxide could build up," GM told Automotive News.


GM must've thought this could be an issue and the Volt does what any other car would when it's left running: it chimes. That's apparently not enough for owners, so the Volt's software will be updated under the recall to limit the amount of time the car be idle when it's left in the "on" position.

Contact the author at
Public PGP key
PGP fingerprint: 7301 D7FC 2FF6 D437 E5A7 0568 3A14 624A 1800 4C85

Share This Story

Get our newsletter


So 64kV are being recalled. (sorry I'm an engineer)