- Montway Auto Transport is a car shipping broker with a network of 15,000 carriers that offers open and enclosed transport services.
- Boasting an A+ rating and full accreditation with the Better Business Bureau, Montway is a trusted auto shipping provider.
- The average cost to ship your vehicle with Montway Auto Transport is $599 for a 500-mile shipment and $1,399 for a 1,500-mile transport with open vehicle shipping.
Our team researched the best car shipping companies and determined which will take the best care of your vehicle on the road. Find out what we learned about Montway in this review, which considers cost, services, reputation, and customer experience.
Montway Auto Transport Review
We rate Montway Auto Transport 4.7 out of 5.0 stars based on the shipping provider’s cost, services, reputation, and customer service. In our thorough study of the shipping industry, we rated Montway Auto Transport as the Best Overall car shipping company in the U.S.
Montway Auto Transport Ratings
Below, you can see each rating our review team gave Montway Auto.
Is Montway Auto Transport Any Good?
While low prices can sometimes correlate with poor service, that isn’t the case here–based on Montway Auto Transport reviews from delighted customers. In our survey of the car shipping industry, Montway was the most popular transport provider. Of the 1,000 respondents we polled, 236 shipping customers reported using the company’s services.
Here’s how Montway compares to other popular shipping providers:
Montway Auto Transport Pros and Cons
Though Montway is the highest-rated auto transport company in the industry, it still has some downsides. Below are some pros and cons of using Montway Auto Transport to ship your vehicle:
Is Montway Auto Transport Legit?
Headquarters: Schaumburg Illinois
Provider type: Auto transport broker
Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings: A+ and accredited since 9/1/2007
Montway Auto Transport is a titan of the car shipping industry that has efficiently and securely moved hundreds of thousands of vehicles nationwide since its inception.
Leveraging its vast network of over 15,000 car shipping carriers, Montway has consistently struck a balance between competitive pricing and strong customer service. The company was named one of the fastest-growing companies by Inc. 5000 in 2021.
Montway Customer Reviews
Reviews from Montway’s customers are primarily positive and prove the company’s reliability. Along with having full accreditation and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), the provider has a 4.5 out of 5.0-star rating from BBB from over 2,300 customer reviews.
Similarly, Montway Auto Transport has a customer review rating of 4.6 out of 5.0 stars from Trustpilot based on over 1,200 customer reviews. The company is also well-liked by customers on the Google platform, as evidenced by its 4.6-star rating from over 10,000 Google reviews.
Positive Montway Customer Reviews
Positive Montway Auto Transport reviews praise the company for its considerate drivers, quick delivery times, and low overall vehicle shipping cost.
“Excellent communication, service, and follow-up. Their contractor was very professional. Car was delivered from Florida to California on the date promised.”
– Robert S., Trustpilot
“Fair price. Fast and easy to arrange. On-time departure and arrival. Driver was professional and courteous. Would use again.”
– Steve, Trustpilot
“This was my first time shipping my car cross country, and I was very nervous. Montway was recommended to me by a car trader. Both ways, Montway brokers found me really good truckers who picked up and delivered my car on time. DEFINITELY will use them again! Very happy customer.”
– Shannon, Google Reviews
Montway Auto Transport Complaints
Other reviewers find less to like about Montway Auto Transport services. The company receives poor marks for price increases, neglected shipments, and broken promises.
“They provided me with a lowball price and attempted to up it several times by twice the amount. They made several promises to ship my car and never delivered. Big waste of time.”
– J.B., BBB
“Getting to speak with a human after a deal is brokered is impossible. I had to cancel because they did not respond to repeated inquiries about picking up my vehicle. I waited two weeks. Their only offer was to get it within two hours of me.”
– Chris M., BBB
Montway Customer Satisfaction
Montway prides itself on its ability to offer cheap car shipping services without sacrificing quality.
In our survey, 78 percent of customers who used Montway said they would recommend the company. Eighty-four percent of respondents were satisfied with their service, and the company was popular for shipping to and from Alaska.
Here’s a look at the complete breakdown of Montway’s customer satisfaction from our research:
Montway Auto Transport Car Shipping Services
Montway Auto Transport offers open and enclosed shipping services, allowing customers to choose the proper transport that suits their needs. Customers can add on expedited shipping and guaranteed pickup dates for an added fee.
The table below has more information about Montway’s shipping services:
|Long-distance shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, or internationally||Yes|
|Guaranteed pickup dates||Yes (available for an additional fee)|
|Expedited shipping||Yes (available for an additional fee)|
Below is an overview of the shipping services offered by Montway:
- Open transport: This shipping method is the most common and least expensive. However, shipping a vehicle in an open carrier exposes your car to the elements, and it could be damaged by the weather and road debris.
- Enclosed transport: Carriers who provide enclosed shipping are more experienced in shipping high-end vehicles, although these carriers often charge twice as much as open transport carriers.
- Door-to-door transport: This option provides the most convenient method of auto transport. You select a specific address for your vehicle to be picked up and dropped off.
- Expedited shipping: With expedited shipping, your car is prioritized for pickup. This requires the carrier to reschedule non-expedited pick-ups, which is why Montway offers this service at a premium price.
- Shipping to Alaska and Hawaii: Montway Auto is one of the few car shippers that can transport a vehicle to or from Alaska and Hawaii.
Types Of Vehicles Shipped By Montway
Due to its size and years of experience, Montway Auto Transport can find a motor carrier for nearly every type of vehicle. While specialized shipments may lead to increased rates, Montway Auto Transport can provide shipping services for the following:
- Cars, SUVs, and pickup trucks
- All-terrain vehicles (ATVs)
- Golf carts
- Inoperable vehicles
- Collector and classic cars
There are exceptions, though. Montway Auto Transport does not deliver:
- Cars loaded up with more than 100 pounds of personal items
States Serviced By Montway Auto Transport
Montway offers open and enclosed car shipping services to all 50 states in the US and internationally. If you did not choose expedited shipping, it usually takes five to seven days for your car to arrive at its agreed-upon destination.
Shipping a car to the Hawaiian islands (Kauai, Oahu, or Maui) takes longer since Hawaii is 2,000 miles from the US mainland. For example:
- Chicago to Hawaii: Vehicles arrive in 13 to 18 days
- Los Angeles to Hawaii: Expect your vehicle in eight to 12 days
- New York to Honolulu: Takes approximately 14 to 19 days
Montway Auto Transport Tracking
Tracking your vehicle through Montway Auto Transport is a straightforward process. All you need is your tracking number, and you can access everything about the status of your shipment. Go to Montway’s online tool and you’ll get information about the current location, delay information, estimated time of arrival, and any issues with your shipment.
Montway Auto Transport Insurance
Montway Auto Transport reviewers appreciate the complimentary $100,000 cargo insurance coverage included in the provider’s overland shipments. The broker also carries up to $250,000 worth of contingent cargo insurance, which should cover any damages, even if the trucker’s policy won’t cover a claim.
Montway Auto Transport Guaranteed Pickup Dates
It is common in the auto transport industry for carriers to only offer flexible pickup and delivery dates. Montway offers guaranteed pickup dates with its services, allowing you to commit to any travel or moving plans entirely.
Montway Auto Transport Cost
Shipping your car with Montway averages $599 for a 500-mile shipment and $1,399 for a 1,500-mile transport with open vehicle shipping.
Our survey shows over 41 percent of respondents paid between $1,000 and $1,999 for their vehicle shipment. Comparing Montway quotes with our customer survey, you will likely find some of the lowest car shipping rates through Montway.
Montway Auto Transport Cost-Per-Mile
According to Montway, the typical cost-per-mile depends on the total shipping distance and if you pay cash or credit. The total cost-per-mile usually breaks down as follows:
|Distance||Type Of Transport||Credit/Debit Cost Per Mile||Cash Cost Per Mile|
|Under 500 miles||Open||$1.34||$1.28|
|500 to 1,500 miles||Open||$0.99||$0.94|
|500 to 1,500 miles||Enclosed||$1.24||$1.18|
|Over 1,500 miles||Open||$0.67||$0.63|
Montway Auto Transport Prices
We’ve provided some price estimates from Montway Auto Transport below for operable vehicles with open transport.
|Pickup and Dropoff Location||Transport Distance||Car Type||Transport Type||Credit/Debit Price||Cash Price||Length Of Transit|
|Charlotte, NC to Cleveland, OH||515 miles||2018 Hyundai Elantra||Open||$689||$659||2-4 days|
|Rapid City, SD to Atlanta, GA||1,504 miles||2018 Hyundai Elantra||Open||$1,499||$1,419||5-7 days|
|Rapid City, SD to Atlanta, GA||1,504 miles||2018 Hyundai Elantra||Enclosed||$1,869||$1,779||5-7 days|
|Washington, DC to Seatle, WA||2,761||2018 Hyundai Elantra||Open||$1,859||$1,749||7-9 days|
The prices from Montway Auto Transport compare favorably to those from other major shipping brokers. Montway Auto Transport costs generally stay close to the rates above, but actual prices may vary.
Montway Auto Transport Quote
The best way to find your exact rate is by getting an instant quote directly from Montway. You can do this at Montway.com and the process takes less than a minute. Be prepared to provide your name, phone number, email, vehicle information, shipping dates, drop-off location, and pickup location.
Montway Auto Shipping Cost Factors
Though estimates help give you an idea of how much you could pay for car shipping, the quote you receive from the provider will vary. Car shipping costs are based on several factors, including:
- Time of year: The summer months and January tend to be more expensive
- Vehicle size: The larger the car, the more expensive it will be to ship
- Urgency: The sooner you need the delivery date to be, the more the shipment will cost
- Transport type: Open transport is cheaper than enclosed shipping
- Distance: Cross-country shipping, such as Los Angeles to New York City, costs more overall but less per mile
- Delivery method: Door-to-door delivery is pricier than terminal-to-terminal shipping
- Pickup and delivery location: Service to a rural location typically costs more than service in an urban area
- Price of fuel: If fuel is expensive, expect your car shipment price to increase
- Vehicle operability: Expect to pay much more if your car is inoperable
- Roof racks: Nonpermanent roof racks should be removed before transport in order to avoid paying a fee
- Cash payment: Full payment is due upon delivery of your vehicle and you can save up to 10 percent if you pay in cash to release your vehicle
Our auto shipping consumer survey found that 80 percent of respondents said cost was the most critical factor when choosing a company.
Montway Auto Transport reviews recommend moving your vehicle via open transport instead of enclosed trailers to save money during shipping. Avoid the busy summer months for lower prices and a shorter transit time.
Montway Auto Transport Discounts
Montway Auto Transport does not offer a wide variety of discounts, but they do offer discounts for retired and active military members.
Montway Auto Transport Military Discount
As stated, Montway offers a military discount to retired and active military members. Before shipping your car, you should research deals through Montway Auto Transport. Military discounts include storage, car shipping, and more. Look online to see what military car shipping discounts apply to you.
Montway Auto Transport Promo Code
Many promo codes are available online to help you get a low price on car shipping. Search online to see what promo codes you can use and which are best for your budget.
Additional Montway Discounts
You may be able to find other discounts from Montway Auto Transport. While it isn’t as convenient as getting an online quote, you can ask a representative about all available discounts if you call the company’s phone number.
- Cash discount: You’ll save money if you pay your bill in cash rather than with a credit card or check
- Multi-vehicle discount: Montway offers customers a discount if you ship multiple vehicles simultaneously
- Returning customer discount: Some return customers can qualify for a discount on their shipping service
How Montway Auto Transport Works
Shipping a car might seem complicated, especially for customers shipping a vehicle for the first time. In the section below, we’ll cover the process for customers who ship their vehicles with Montway.
Shipping Through A Broker
Montway Auto Transport is a reputable auto shipping broker with access to a network of over 15,000 auto transport carriers, allowing the company to offer competitive pricing in the car shipping industry.
Montway Terms And Conditions
Montway Auto Transport has terms and conditions for customers and carriers. Understanding these policies can help ensure a smooth shipment for you and the driver. In the sections below, we will explain the most important terms and conditions you need to know before shipping your vehicle with Montway Auto Transport.
Montway’s Bill Of Lading
A bill of lading is a legal document that details the list of shipping goods in the form of a receipt. The carrier will present you with a bill of lading before they ship your vehicle. The bill of lading is often abbreviated as “BOL” and is used to record any existing external damage before transport and any new damage caused during transit. If you need to make an insurance claim, the BOL is the most important document to prove that damage to your vehicle was caused during transport.
Montway Auto Transport Personal Items
Customers are permitted up to 100 pounds of luggage per vehicle during shipping. This is quite uncommon in the auto shipping industry. Due to laws and regulations, the driver picking up the car can inspect the bag for any illegal items or substances. Prohibited items include explosives, guns, ammunition, weapons, flammable materials, live pets, live plants, any contraband, drugs or narcotics, alcoholic beverages, or any other illegal goods.
Montway Auto Transport Cancellation
The Montway Auto Transport cancellation process is relatively simple.
- Your delivery hasn’t been dispatched: If your order has yet to be dispatched for loading, your payment is fully refundable.
- Your delivery has been dispatched: If your order has been dispatched for loading, your payment is still refundable. In these instances, there is a $199 service fee or the partial payment amount, whichever is higher. Additionally, Montway may also charge you a dry run fee for any cancellations that result in the carrier transporting a less-than-full load.
How To Ship A Car With Montway
Montway’s shipping process is easy to understand. Customer reviews often mention how simple it is to ship a car with Montway, but what exactly is the process?
Below are step-by-step instructions for how to ship your vehicle with Montway Auto Transport:
- Obtain a quote: You can get a quote online at Montway.com. The process only takes a few minutes if your name, phone number, email, vehicle information, pickup and drop-off locations are readily available. You can also call a Montway representative at (855) 760-2995 for a free quote.
- Book your services: After getting your quote, you can book your service with Montway. If you are unsure of the date you need your vehicle shipped, you can still book your service and change the shipping dates later. If you need your car shipped urgently, you can book expedited service for an additional fee.
- Prepare your car to be shipped: You are allowed to pack up to 100 pounds of personal items in the trunk of your vehicle. You should secure all loose items that could move around the vehicle during shipping and cause damage, including securing or removing loose parts, fragile accessories, low-hanging spoilers, all nonpermanent outside mounted luggage, and other racks. Your vehicle should have less than a quarter fuel tank before shipment. You must also disarm your vehicle’s alarm system or provide to the driver clear instructions for disengaging it.
- Release your vehicle: Since Montway Auto Transport only offers door-to-door shipping, your car will be picked up on your chosen booking date at your home or your chosen location. You and the driver will inspect your vehicle for damage, and you must sign a bill of lading. The driver will load your vehicle and take it to its final destination.
- Receive your vehicle: Once the car is unloaded, you and the driver will inspect the vehicle for damage, and you must sign the bill of lading to release the vehicle. If you follow through with the service from Montway Auto Transport, you’ll need to pay the entire balance upon your vehicle’s delivery.
Montway Car Shipping Reviews: Conclusion
Following our team’s extensive research into the car shipping industry, Montway earned a 4.7 out of 5.0-star rating and was named the Best Overall car shipping company for 2023. The company offers some of the lowest shipping rates in the industry while also providing excellent customer service.
Montway Auto Transport Competitors: Top Picks
We recommend getting car shipping quotes online from a few auto transport companies to find the best price. Especially if it is your first time shipping a vehicle, we suggest getting online quotes from at least two other top-rated providers. Easy Auto Ship and Sherpa Auto Transport are two great options to get you started.
Easy Auto Ship: 4.4 Stars
If one company can compete with Montway Auto Transport for low prices, it’s Easy Auto Ship. Drivers can expect competitive rates without skimping on service when they use the provider, which offers both U.S. and international auto shipping.
Many positive Easy Auto Ship reviews mention the company’s guarantee of no hidden fees once an offer has been accepted. Combine this with an all-online booking process and countless shipping options, and Easy Auto Ship deserves its designation as the provider with the Best Customer Service.
Read more: Easy Auto Ship reviews
Sherpa Auto Transport: 4.6 Stars
Since its founding in 2017, Sherpa Auto Transport has been raising the bar for customer service. Even mid-shipment, communication is a breeze with the company. According to Sherpa Auto Transport reviews, the provider’s top benefit may be its Price Lock Promise, which guarantees that your rate will not increase during your shipment.
In our review of the best auto shipping companies, we name Sherpa Auto Transport as the Best for Locked-In Rates. While the car shipper often offers slightly higher initial prices than its competitors, the Price Lock Promise ensures that your costs stay relatively low overall.
Read more: Sherpa Auto Transport reviews
Montway Car Shipping: FAQ
Below are some frequently asked questions about Montway Auto Transport:
How We Rate Auto Shippers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car shipping companies. While there are multiple qualities that make an auto transport provider successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between providers because so many factors impact auto shipping rates. To determine our cost score, we perform a secret shopper analysis for a variety of vehicles and routes.
- Services: Our team of experts looks at the types of services available, as well as insurance coverage and the ability to guarantee pickup and drop-off dates. Ratings also take into account whether the transport company is a broker or a carrier.
- Reputation: It’s important that a car shipping provider is able to deliver your vehicle in a safe and timely manner. Companies with a strong rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) score well in this category. Established providers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Customer Experience: We comb through consumer reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Car transport companies with a low volume of complaints score well in this area.
*Data accurate at time of publication.