What Does It Mean To Ship A Car Enclosed?
Enclosed auto transport, considered the safest car shipping option, protects your vehicle and peace of mind. Your vehicle will be in a closed trailer, protecting it from outside elements. While open carrier shipping exposes your car to road hazards and the elements, shipping it in a fully enclosed trailer minimizes potential damage.
Top-Rated Enclosed Car Shipping Companies
Our team researched and rated the major car shipping service providers based on reputation, cost, services, and customer reviews. Each of these companies provides options for enclosed auto transport.
1. Montway Auto Transport: Best Enclosed Services
Our team selected Montway Auto Transport as the best overall shipping company in the country. The auto shipping broker provides affordable shipping options by working with over 15,000 carriers across the nation, and provides enclosed car transport to all 50 states–including Alaska and Hawaii.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives the company an A+ rating, and customers on the BBB’s website give Montway an average rating of 4.5 stars out of 5.0.
Explore the company’s pricing and services with our full Montway Auto Transport review.
Montway Auto Transport Enclosed Car Shipping Cost
You can see the cost of shipping a vehicle with Montway in the table below:
2. AmeriFreight: Best Enclosed Shipping Discounts
AmeriFreight is an auto shipping broker that works with a wide network of fully vetted car carriers. The broker offers enclosed auto transport to all 50 states. We consider AmeriFreight the shipping company that is Best for Discounts, as it offers reduced rates for service members, college students, first responders, and more.
AmeriFreight holds an A+ rating from the BBB and nearly 1,200 customers on the BBB’s consumer reviews section agree, giving the shipping broker an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.0 stars.
Read more in our full AmeriFreight review.
AmeriFreight Enclosed Car Shipping Cost
The table below shows the average cost to ship a car on an enclosed carrier with AmeriFreight is $1,414.
3. Sherpa Auto Transport: Best Guaranteed Enclosed Transport Rates
Our team considers Sherpa Auto Transport Best for Locked-In Rates. The transport broker offers a Price Lock Promise, which says the price quoted by Sherpa is the final price you’ll pay. Though it doesn’t ship internationally or to Hawaii and Alaska, Sherpa Auto Transport offers enclosed car shipping across the lower 48 states.
Sherpa has a top-notch reputation in the industry and with customers. The BBB gives the shipping company an A+, and customers give Sherpa a near-perfect rating of 4.9 stars out of 5.0.
Read our complete Sherpa Auto Transport review to learn more details on locked-in pricing and services.
Sherpa Auto Transport Enclosed Car Shipping Cost
Sherpa offers car shipping enclosed car shipping services for $1,850.
4. Easy Auto Ship: Best Added Enclosed Benefits
Because Easy Auto Ship prides itself on going the extra mile, we consider it to be the auto transport company with the Best Added Benefits. Beyond providing enclosed car transport services to all 50 states and international destinations, Easy Auto Ship offers amenities like paying for your car wash and rental car reimbursements.
The broker holds an A+ rating from the BBB and a 4.6-star average customer rating across over 750 reviews.
You can learn more about the broker’s added benefits in our complete Easy Auto Ship review.
Easy Auto Ship Enclosed Car Shipping Cost
Easy Auto Ship’s enclosed shipping costs are slightly higher than the competition, at $2,016.
5. uShip: Best Enclosed Car Shipping Marketplace
uShip is a car shipping marketplace where customers post shipment requests, and carriers offer bids. Because this puts the power to choose pricing in the customer’s hand, our team finds uShip to be the Best Shipping Marketplace. With uShip, you’ll be able to find competitive pricing from a provider for enclosed car shipping.
The BBB gives uShip an A+ rating, and customers rate the marketplace 4.6 out of 5.0 stars.
Discover more about the shipping marketplace with our complete uShip review.
uShip Enclosed Car Shipping Cost
uShip’s marketplace provided us with a quote of $1,970 for enclosed auto transport services.
Enclosed Car Shipping: What You Need To Know
Enclosed auto transport trailers are fully enclosed shipping compartments with hard-sided or soft-sided walls and soft straps.
Enclosed Auto Transport Services
There are several different types of enclosed car carriers:
- 5-6 car enclosed carriers: These look like semi trucks and operate similarly to open auto carriers. The trucks have two tiers of vehicle storage surrounded by hard sides.
- 2-3 car enclosed carriers: Also known as a hotshot carrier, these are single-tier trailers that only hold a couple of cars.
- Soft-sided covered trailers: These enclosed trailers can transport seven to eight vehicles at a time.
- Oversize enclosed trailers: These covered transport trailers are often used to ship alternative vehicles that are too tall or wide to fit in a regular enclosed trailer.
How Much Does Enclosed Auto Transport Cost?
You should expect to pay between 40 and 60 percent more per mile for enclosed car shipping over open auto transport.
Our team received rates from a few of the top shipping companies to give you a better idea of the price of enclosed shipping.
Enclosed Car Shipping Rates
Here are some costs we found for an operable 2018 Hyundai Elantra traveling a distance of 1,504 miles:
Most auto shipping companies consider enclosed vehicle transport a premium service, generally used to ship sports cars, high-end vehicles, and classic cars. Enclosed car trailers aren’t able to carry as many vehicles as open car haulers, so the service does cost more on average.
Enclosed Car Shipping Quotes
According to our research, the average enclosed car shipping quote is $1,783. Below are the quotes we received during our industry-wide review.
Is Enclosed Transport Worth It?
Enclosed auto shipping can be a great option when transporting cars that need extra protection. These shipments have higher insurance policy limits, offering more coverage for high-value vehicles. Owners of upmarket vehicles, like classic or luxury cars, often prefer covered car shipping to keep their vehicles clean and free of cosmetic damage.
Alternative vehicles with larger wheels or low ground clearance often can’t fit onto standard open carrier trailers, so enclosed vehicle shipping is the best option to accommodate these unique requirements.
Enclosed Vs. Open Car Shipping
Shipping your car in an enclosed trailer will give you less scheduling flexibility than open auto shipping. Enclosed carriers make up a smaller portion of the market and cater to a smaller customer base. You should leave as much lead time as possible when booking enclosed auto transport.
What Affects Enclosed Car Shipping Prices
When researching how to ship a car, you’ll learn about the various factors that affect the cost of car shipping prices. When budgeting for your covered transport, remember that many factors affect car shipping costs:
- Type of vehicle: High-end vehicles and classic cars require more insurance coverage to ship.
- Hard- or soft-sided enclosed trailer: Soft-sided enclosed carriers are often able to ship more cars at once, lowering your costs.
- Overall shipping distance: Shorter shipping distances have lower overall costs but longer distances cost less per mile.
- Operable vs. inoperable vehicle: Inoperable vehicles may require a winch to load onto the trailer, which costs more in labor.
- Time frame: Enclosed auto transport serves a smaller customer base, so to save money, it’s recommended you book your transport as far out as possible. However, most carriers will offer expedited shipping for an additional charge.
- Season: Summertime and January are typically the busiest times of year in the car shipping industry, and that demand raises rates.
Enclosed auto transport is the safest vehicle transport method, but it’s not always the best option for cheap car shipping.
Best Enclosed Car Transport Companies: Conclusion
We received the cheapest enclosed shipping quotes from AmeriFreight, Gartho Logistics, and Ship a Car Direct. Even though these enclosed auto transport companies are the most affordable options, they may not be the best. It is essential to look at the quality of each company’s services and reputation before making a decision.
Enclosed Car Shipping Companies: FAQ
Below are some frequently asked questions about enclosed car transport:
How We Rate Auto Shippers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car shipping companies. While there are multiple qualities that make an auto transport provider successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between providers because so many factors impact auto shipping rates. To determine our cost score, we perform a secret shopper analysis for a variety of vehicles and routes.
- Services: Our team of experts looks at the types of services available, as well as insurance coverage and the ability to guarantee pickup and drop-off dates. Ratings also take into account whether the transport company is a broker or a carrier.
- Reputation: It’s important that a car shipping provider is able to deliver your vehicle in a safe and timely manner. Companies with a strong rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) score well in this category. Established providers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Customer Experience: We comb through consumer reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Car transport companies with a low volume of complaints score well in this area.
*Data accurate at time of publication.