Ford Racing just announced the Boss 302 crate engine is now available as a boxed engine. Now wrenchers can finally install the 444 horsepower 5.0-liter V8 from the Boss 302 Mustang into their own project cars. But will they want to?
The boys from the blue oval are shoving all sorts of good stuff in the box — with a part order designation of #M-6007-M50B — including CNC-machined cylinder heads, upgraded air intake manifold, forged aluminum pistons, and stronger connecting rods. You know, all the stuff you can't get with the standard 5.0-liter V8.
Of course, custom wiring and calibration is required, as the vehicle harness and power control module isn't included.
The other downside? The price. Ford Racing lists the Boss 302 crate engine at $11,999.00, while the standard 5.0-liter Coyote V8 crate engine is $6,999.00. Is the Boss 302 engine really worth the extra $5,000? You tell us.
Here's the details on what to expect once you cut a hole in the box, and then you open the box:
Boss 302 5.0L V8 Crate Engine Features:
● 11.0:1 compression ratio
● Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing caps and thick main bearing bulkheads for bottom-end strength
● Features large sump 8.5 qt oil pan with revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under hard cornering
● Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Ford Racing's Daytona Prototype engine program
● 80 mm single bore "drive by wire" throttlebody
● High-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque
● Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved heat dissipation
● Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength
● Includes manual transmission engine harness and flywheel
● Vehicle harness and PCM not included
● Boss 302 crate engine shown with optional Ford blue coil pack covers FRPP part # : M-6P067-M50B and NVH insulator pads, Ford dealer part # :CR3Z-6N041-A. sold separately.
● Engine mount bosses and bellhousing mount pattern common to 4.6L modular engines.
● Engine weight: 444 lbs