Volvo began its renaissance a few years ago, first with the big XC90 SUV and the big S90 sedan. They were followed by the midsize XC60, but the true test of the comeback would be the smaller 2018 Volvo XC40 crossover. But I have seen this entry-level luxury promised land, and it has been good.
(Full Disclosure: Volvo wanted me to drive the new XC40 so bad that they flew me business class to Barcelona, Spain. Don’t worry, “business class” sounds fancy but it was American Airlines and I can assure you it was Not Great. I’m still in Barcelona, from whence I blog. Volvo fed me shrimp with the heads still attached. I’m not sure if it was intended as an insult.)
Granted, this is by no means a sports car. But still, Sweden itself can be a bit boring and yet very nice, and so is the XC40.
- It looks like a hightop sneaker, both inside and out
- The 248 horsepower/258 pound-feet of torque in the T5 is surprisingly punchy
- Have you SEEN the genius of the interior???
- The steering is quite dead
- Not the most amount of rear-seat legroom in the world
- Volvo’s Pilot Assist still insists I keep my hands on the steering wheel, and I know this is a love-it-or-hate-it thing but it drives me absolutely nuts
So what do you want to know about the car? Ask me anything you want about the 2018 Volvo XC40 in the comments below!