Special Editions of the 2016 Toyota Corolla and its big brother the Camry have just dropped at the Chicago Auto Show. They come in bright colors with matched interior accents, and a subtle "SPORT" button on the dash to unlock "more aggressive driving dynamics." So, youths, are you in?!
Toyota's annual sales target for the Camry Special Edition is 12,000 vehicles, which actually sounds like a lot until you realize they regularly sell more than twice that many Camrys a month. Here's the full rundown of what's inside:
- Unique 18-inch alloy wheels with machined face contrasted with gloss black painted accents
- Power tilt/slide moonroof
- Smoked tail lamp treatment
- High contrast blue stitching on the seats, shift boot and dash
- Exclusive sport appearance seats trimmed with black SofTex® bolsters and blue patterned inserts
- Sport meter cluster with blue details and white background
- Entune Audio Plus
- Available Entune Premium Audio with Navigation and App Suite
- Smart Key with pushbutton start
- Qi Wireless Charging
- Two exterior colors: Blizzard Pearl and new Blue Streak Metallic
- Floor mats with logo and unique exterior badge
The Camry's blue seats look pretty funky for sure, though a few of my fellow journalists weren't thrilled with the execution. "You know those water shoes you buy from Wal-Mart when you realize your kid left the house without anything on his feet," somebody explained. "[The seats] kind of felt like that."
I thought they came out alright, for what it's worth.
The Corolla Special Edition has a few less perks on the Camry, with:
- Unique 17-inch alloy wheels with gloss black finish
- Black mixed media seats with red contrast stitching
- Red accented dash and door trim
- Smart Key System with pushbutton start
- Three colors: exclusive Absolutely Red, Black Sand Pearl and Super White
- Special Edition floor mats with logo and unique exterior badge
Toyota Group Vice President Bill Fay says these cars will "appeal to a young buyer and give them more of what they want." Well what do you reckon, #youths?
Images by Tavarish