Over three years in the making, this book covers the background, conception, design, production and aftermath of the iconic Ferrari 288 GTO, including the prototypes, the early production cars, the mainstream production cars in their various specification guises, and the Evolution cars planned for the aborted Group B FIA race series.
The work features nearly 400 relevant photographs, from original production images to the cars as they are today, including the 1984 Geneva Salon where the car debuted, the first ever GTO Reunion in 1985, current salon and action images, right up to the 25th Anniversary Ferrari 288 GTO Reunion held in America in 2009. Also featured are the actual factory production approval sheets, as filed with the Italian government, in an illustrated technical drawing form, along with a chassis by chassis register of every 288 GTO built, including destroyed prototypes, production cars, and GTO Evoluziones – in fact all 284 cars ever built.
This book contains essential resources covering all aspects of the car, including archives, maintenance specialists, restoration specialists, worldwide clubs, parts sources, etc. A comprehensive, beautifully illustrated look at a unique sports car, and a must-have for true Ferrari fans.
The Book of the Ferrari 288 GTO by Joe Sackey
- Images and detailed illustrations from the designer of the car
- All publicity and press coverage assembled in one chapter
- Period production images to current salon and action images
- Resource guide to specialists, clubs, parts sources, and archives
- Factory production approval sheets as filed with the Italian Government
- FIA homologation papers (26 pages), never seen by the public before
- Foreword by the designer of the 288 GTO, Leonardo Fioravanti
- Foreword by the chief development engineer, Nicola Materazzi, known as ‘the father of the 288 GTO
- The book covers background, conception, design, production and aftermath of the Ferrari 288 GTO
- Chassis by chassis register of every 288 GTO built. All 284 of them
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Over the past 24 years, both in England and in the USA, Joe Sackey has personally owned many classic cars, including multiple Lamborghini Miuras, all Countach variants, several Ferrari F40s and 288 GTOs, and many classic Porsches. Joe’s commitment in several time-consuming nut-and-bolt restorations has brought him untold knowledge and experience with these cars.
In 2006, he facilitated the sale of the famed one-off Lamborghini Miura ZN75 Spyder, and in 2007, he secured the sale of yet another million-dollar Miura, the Miura SVJ, for $1.5 million USD.
In 2009, Joe organised and sponsored the 25th Anniversary Reunion of the Ferrari 288 GTO in America, held during the famed Monterey week. A world-record attendance of 14 288 GTOs appeared.
Joe is the author of the 272-page hardcover book on the Lamborghini Miura, The Lamborghini Miura Bible, published in 2008 by Veloce Publishing.
Joe currently operates primarily as an international Ferrari Supercar Specialist focusing on the 288 GTO, F40, F50 and Enzo.
Place of birth: Ghana, West Africa • Hometown: Coronado Pointe • Nearest city: Los Angeles, USA
V4273 • Hardback • 25x25cm • £50 • 272 pages • 326 colour and b&w pictures
- ISBN: 978-1-845842-73-4
- UPC: 6-36847-04273-8