Owners of the Bugatti Chiron already know the heady thrill that comes with knowing that the car kept immobile in their air conditioned garages is the fastest in the world, if they were ever to drive it, which they won’t. Now, 40 very lucky money-gorged fools can spend almost six million dollars on a new version of the Chiron that will be faster and handle better, in the incredibly unlikely event one ever actually gets really driven. It’s called the Divo, and you’ll never get to drive one.
The Divo, named after Albert Divo, the driver who drove Bugatti Type 35s when he won the 1928 and 1929 Targa Florio race, is set to be premiered on August 24 at the Quail Motorsports Gathering in California. Bugatti dropped some hints about what this new Chiron variant will be like, though:
• Its lighter weight and agility, higher downforce and greater g-forces promise significantly better handling properties
• Distinctive new design underlines driving dynamics
• Bugatti President Stephan Winkelmann: “With the Divo, we want to thrill people throughout the world.”
• Divo is a reminiscence of the brand’s coachbuilding tradition
• Bugatti Divo to be made in a limited series of only 40 vehicles
• Net price to be €5 million
So, yeah, there you go. Start saving those kruggerands. The Divo seems to be targeted as a more hardcore performance variant of the Chiron, which is great, because some of us are busy people who don’t have 2.5 goddamn seconds to waste getting up to 62 MPH like the current, tortoise-like Chiron does.
It’s supposed to handle better too, with Bugatti saying it was “made for corners,” which is good, because I’m certain that 99% of these sold will be at autocross circuits their first day out.
So far the only images of the car released are of some swatches of teal fabric and carbon fiber and gray something and the name “Divo” stitched into some alacantara like you’d find on a really nice aftermarket floormat.
So, line up, you 40 rich lunatics! Get your incredibly expensive car you’re never going to even remotely push to any of its limits, ever, at all!