Man With Camping Chair And A Lot Of Helium Balloons Flies 8,000 Feet Into The Sky

On Oct. 20, on his last attempt, Tom Morgan, a British adventurer, sat in a chair and flew into the sky on the strength of a few dozen giant, helium-filled balloons. It was all reminiscent of a certain movie.

Morgan had, earlier, tried the stunt from Botswana, but the weather wouldn’t cooperate. Finally, on his last reserves of helium, he moved the attempt to outside Johannesburg and hoped for the best, according to the BBC. It went off pretty well, according to video captured at the scene. Morgan got as high as 8,000 feet, and traveled around 15 miles while being in the air for some two hours.

From the BBC:

Describing the experience as “unbelievably cool”, Mr Morgan also admitted feeling “somewhere between terrified and elated” as he rose in the air.

As the balloons drifted towards the inversion layer of the atmosphere - where the temperature rises - he said the flight started to accelerate very quickly.

“I had to keep my cool and start gradually cutting the balloons.”

That’s fucking terrifying. Also, according to the BBC, Morgan was in a “camping chair.”

News Editor at Jalopnik. 2008 Honda Fit Sport.

Share This Story

Get our `newsletter`


Third Gear

Sorry Tom,

The Darwin Awards has aleady seen this particular attempt to remove yourself from the gene pool. Please try to be more original:

1982, California) Larry Walters of Los Angeles is one of the few to contend for the Darwin Awards and live to tell the tale. “I have fulfilled my 20-year dream,” said Walters, a former truck driver for a company that makes TV commercials. “I’m staying on the ground. I’ve proved the thing works.”

Larry’s boyhood dream was to fly. But fates conspired to keep him from his dream. He joined the Air Force, but his poor eyesight disqualified him from the job of pilot. After he was discharged from the military, he sat in his backyard watching jets fly overhead.

He hatched his weather balloon scheme while sitting outside in his “extremely comfortable” Sears lawnchair. He purchased 45 weather balloons from an Army-Navy surplus store, tied them to his tethered lawnchair (dubbed the Inspiration I) and filled the four-foot diameter balloons with helium. Then, armed with some sandwiches, Miller Lite, and a pellet gun, he strapped himself into his lawnchair. He figured he would shoot to pop a few of the many balloons when it was time to descend.

Larry planned to sever the anchor and lazily float to a height of about 30 feet above the backyard, where he would enjoy a few hours of flight before coming back down. But things didn’t work out quite as Larry planned.

When his friends cut the cord anchoring the lawnchair to his Jeep, he did not float lazily up to 30 feet. Instead he streaked into the LA sky as if shot from a cannon, pulled by the lift of 45 helium balloons, holding 33 cubic feet of helium each.

He didn’t level off at 100 feet, nor did he level off at 1000 feet. After climbing and climbing, he leveled off at 16,000 feet.

At that height he felt he couldn’t risk shooting any of the balloons, lest he unbalance the load and really find himself in trouble. So he stayed there, drifting cold and frightened with his beer and sandwiches, for more than 14 hours. He crossed the primary approach corridor of LAX, where startled Trans World Airlines and Delta Airlines pilots radioed in reports of the strange sight.

Eventually he gathered the nerve to shoot a few balloons, and slowly descended. The hanging tethers tangled and caught in a power line, blacking out a Long Beach neighborhood for 20 minutes. Larry climbed to safety, where he was arrested by waiting members of the LAPD. As he was led away in handcuffs, a reporter dispatched to cover the daring rescue asked him why he had done it. Larry replied nonchalantly, “A man can’t just sit around.”

The Federal Aviation Administration was not amused. Safety Inspector Neal Savoy said, “We know he broke some part of the Federal Aviation Act, and as soon as we decide which part it is, a charge will be filed.”