Our buddy Jon writes in regarding his experience renting a Shelby GT-H from Hertz. Sounds like there's some kind of approval process that may keep the hoi polloi — at least those who pose a flight risk — from hopping aboard the train to Shelbyville. Check it.
Just got back from a business trip to Boston. My business partner Geoff and I were able to rent the Shelby GT-H at the Logan Airport Hertz.
WOW! So much fun. They really put you through your paces to rent it. We had to show our boarding passes. A manager had to check us in.
A few notes:
- We had Shelby number 55
- The engine has a wire on it so that you can't swap it out.
- They do a thorough engine check when you return it to make sure you haven't done anything to it
- I have never gotten so much attention in a rental car before. Constantly people driving up next to you requesting you to "light it up".
- A valet parking guy at a restaurant ran into the street and stopped us to check it out.
- It sounds awesome. The bottom note on it is fierce
- We got it up to about 115 MPH on the Mass Pike
Total cost for 24 hours - $196
Would do it again.
Nice suit, check. Fake boarding passes, check.
Hurt Me, Hertz: The 2006 Shelby Hertz Mustang [internal]