This is the Morning Shift, our one-stop daily roundup of all the auto news that's actually important — all in one place at 9:00 AM. Or, you could spend all day waiting for other sites to parcel it out to you one story at a time. Isn't your time more important?
1st Gear: GM Dealers Say No To More Chevy Volts
As we told you earlier this morning, with NHTSA's closure of the investigation into the Chevy Volt, General Motors is now trying to rebuild the plug-in hybrid's image. But a new stumbling block has appeared on the road to higher sales - Chevy dealers turning down Volts from GM.More »
2nd Gear: Detroit Auto Show Sees Best Attendance Since 2005
According to officials, 770,932 people attended the Detroit Auto Show's nine-day public show, which closed Sunday. It is the highest total attendance figure since 2005, and about 20,000 more than organizers anticipated.
3rd Gear: This Is The Toyota Yaris HSD
A year after they first showed us a concept version of a hybrid Yaris, Toyota's showing the first production shots ahead of its Geneva Motor Show unveiling. Based on the European-market Yaris model, Toyota's given it a new front fascia with larger inlets and larger 18-inch aerodynamic wheels. The Yaris HSD is powered by the same Hybrid Synergy Drive (hence the name) engine-motor combination as found in the Prius c, with a 1.5-liter gasoline engine mated to an electric motor and battery pack, good for 98 hp and around 53 mpg combined. We won't be getting it here in the U.S. thanks to the Prius c headed here later this year.
4th Gear: VW Throws Up Photos Of New Five-Door
Here is the first official picture of the five-door VW Up. Official details and prices have yet to be released, but, as with the three-door, three engine variants are expected to be available — two 1.0-liter three-cylinder petrol units as well as a frugal BlueMotion Technology version of the lower-powered gas engine — with three trim levels to choose from. The five-door's key dimensions will be the same as the three-door and UK sales are expected to begin in the fourth quarter of this year. AutoCar has more details here.
5th Gear: Volkswagen To Make Rest Of Porsche Its Bitch This Year
Der Spiegel reports that the Volkswagen Group plans to finish their takeover of Porsche this year. So far, VW holds a 49.9% stake in Porsche AG, with the remaining 50.1% possibly able to be snatched up at the bargain basement price of just 3.9 billion €. Apparently, the obstacle had been issues with corporate taxes, but financial experts say they now have found a way to reduce taxes for the acquisition significantly. More in poorly translated German at Auto Motor und Sport.
6th Gear: Buy "Revenge Of The Electric Car" On DVD Starting Tomorrow
Wanted to see me in the movie "Revenge of the Electric Car" but missed it in theaters? No? OK, wanted to see Bob Lutz in the same movie? OK then. Head on over to Amazon today and snag a copy of the DVD, which officially goes on sale tonight at midnight. It's especially fitting given our "Today in Automotive History" is the sixth anniversary of the premiere of the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car?"
⏎ A Painful Farewell to Saab's Heritage. [New York Times]
⏎ First Drive: Holden Caprice V Series II with 6.0-liter V8. [CarScoop]
⏎ Chrysler's Global Melange Yields True Luxury. [Wall Street Journal]
⏎ The Big Three's dramatic U-turn. [CBS News]
⏎ Renault, Nissan consider expanding capacity in US. [Gulf News]
Niche Brit brand Morgan announces Geneva presence as Aussie sales hit all-time high. [GoAuto]
⏎ First 2013 Chevy Corvette 427 Convertible Sells for $600,000. [MotorAuthority]
Today in Automotive History:
On this day in 2006, "Who Killed the Electric Car?," a documentary about the aborted attempt by the auto industry to create an electric vehicle, debuts at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah. The movie posited that there was a conspiracy between oil companies, automakers and the government to kill the electric car. [History]
Show us your tips!
Got tips for our editors? Want to anonymously dish some dirt on a competitor? Know something about a secret car? Email us at email@example.com.
Lost in our new layout?