GM has been boasting about a "10% improvement in fuel economy over the outgoing models" for the 2015 Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon, and Cadillac Escalade. The EPA has now released the figures to substantiate that claim.
The standard engine in the 2015 Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, and Yukon XL is a 5.3 V8 making 355 HP and 383 lb-ft of torque. It burns gasoline or E85 ethanol, returning different fuel economy figures depending on drivetrain and obviously which fuel you feed it.
Interestingly, the EPA reports no difference in fuel economy between the 204 inch-long Tahoe/Yukon and the twenty-inch longer Suburban/Yukon XL if fuel and drivetrain are the same, but there is differentiation between sizes in the 6.2-powered SUVs. Just one more reason the EPA's data should make you raise an eyebrow.
Regardless of how accurately these figures represent real-world fuel economy they do provide a basis for comparison across vehicles. Here's full report, neatly broken down to save you the trouble of opening three FuelEconomy.gov tabs.
- 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe & GMC Yukon 2WD MPG: 16 City/18 Combined/23 Highway (gasoline), 12 City/14 Combined/17 Highway (E85)
- 2015 Chevrolet Suburban & GMC Yukon XL 2WD MPG: 16 City/18 Combined/23 Highway (gasoline) 12 City/14 Combined/17 Highway (E85)
- 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe & GMC Yukon 4WD MPG: 16 City/18 Combined/22 Highway (gasoline), 11 City/13 Combined/16 Highway (E85)
- 2015 Chevrolet Suburban & GMC Yukon XL 4WD MPG: 15 City/18 Combined/22 Highway (gasoline, 11 City/12 Combined/15 Highway (E85)
The 6.2 V8 that powers the GMC Denali-trim SUVs and both sizes of Cadillac Escalade produces 420 HP and 460 lb-ft of torque and is gasoline-only, but doesn't seem much thirstier considering it's got almost a liter of displacement over the standard GM SUV small-block.
- 2015 GMC Yukon Denali & Cadillac Escalade 2WD MPG: 15 City/17 Combined/21 Highway (gasoline)
- 2015 GMC Yukon Denali & Cadillac Escalade 4WD MPG: 14 City/16 Combined/21 Highway (gasoline)
- 2015 GMC Yukon XL Denali & Cadillac Escalade ESV 2WD MPG: 15 City/17 Combined/21 Highway (gasoline)
- 2015 GMC Yukon XL Denali & Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD MPG: 14 City/16 Combined/20 Highway (gasoline)
The EPA has not yet evaluated the economy of the 2015 Ford Expedition, Expedition EL, or its Lincoln Navigator stablemates.