The 2017 Ford Fiesta ST doesn’t get much in the way of changes other than a new orange paint job. However, Ford is throwing in free training at their Octane Driver’s Academy with every ST purchase.
According to Ford, anyone who purchases a 2017 Fiesta ST will be offered a complimentary day of performance driving instruction at ST Octane Academy located at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah. Of course, the cost of travel and lodging is on you.
The one-day Octane Academy driving program includes:
- Classroom session (approximately 30 minutes)
- On Track lead-and-follow session (you follow the instructor)
- On Track instructor ride-along (instructor rides as passenger)
- On Track hot laps (you ride as passenger with instructor driving)
- Forward/Reverse 180s and parking box. Well, have you ever wanted to do a handbrake turn into a parking spot? Here’s your chance!
- Braking/Corner exercises
- Skid car exercises
- UrbanX practice session
- Timed competition on the UrbanX course
- Kart race to end the day
Ford has been doing this for a while. It started back in 2013 with the introduction of the Focus and Fiesta ST models, and Ford confirmed to Jalopnik that the free Octane Academy courses are still available to anyone who purchases a ‘17 ST as well.
While you may not be able to hoon like Ken Block after a day of instruction, the free Octane Academy is a great way to hone your driving skills and experience the limits of your ST in a safe and controlled environment.
Though for the safety of everyone at all future Cars and Coffee events, Ford should probably offer some kind of training for Mustang owners as well.