October 28, 2013 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The Insurance Institute of Highway Safety today named the all-new 2014 Jeep® Cherokee a 2013 Top Safety Pick.
The ground-breaking SUV was one of two Chrysler Group vehicles to earn the designation during the latest round of IIHS evaluations. In the last 10 months, a total of 14 Chrysler Group vehicles have been so commended.
Top Safety Pick testing simulates a side impact with a large SUV or pickup truck, front moderate overlap impact, roof-crush consistent with a rollover, and a rear collision capable of inducing whiplash. In each of these, the all-new Jeep Cherokee recorded the highest-possible rating of "good."
"The all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee represents the pinnacle of innovation in the mid-size SUV segment," said Mike Manley, Jeep President and Chief Executive Officer. "In addition to the breakthrough efficiency of its unique 4x4 system and the milestone introduction its 9-speed automatic transmission – a world-first – the Cherokee features a host of technologies that combine to deliver outstanding occupant protection. That kind of robust performance delivers on the promise of the Jeep brand."
The other Chrysler Group vehicle today named a 2013 Top Safety Pick is the all-new 2014 Fiat 500L, a revolutionary four-door, B-segment hatchback.
The Cherokee and 500L join 12 Chrysler Group vehicles that claimed Top Safety Pick status within the last 10 months. They include, according to IIHS segmentation:
- The 2013 Fiat 500 minicar
- 2013 Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger large family cars
- 2013 Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan minivans
- 2013 Dodge Journey, 2014 Durango and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee mid-size SUVs
- 2014 Jeep Patriot small SUV
Three additional 2013 vehicles – the Dodge Dart in the IIHS small-car category and the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler 200 sedans among mid-size, moderately priced cars – share not only Top Safety Pick ratings, but the new IIHS Top Safety Pick+ award for superior performance in a small overlap front crash test.
The all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee boasts more than 70 available safety and security features, many of which – such as the Cherokee's 65-percent content-ratio of advanced-technology steel and 10 standard air bags – help protect in the event of collision. Comprising the 10 standard air bags are:
- Advanced multistage driver and front passenger air bags, which inflate with force appropriate to the severity of the impact; they meet FMVSS 208 advanced air bag requirements for smaller, out-of-position occupants
- All-row full-length side-curtain air bags, which extend protection to all outboard front- and rear-seat passengers; housed in the headliner above the side windows, each side air bag has its own impact sensor that triggers deployment on the side where an impact occurs
- Front-seat and rear-seat-mounted side pelvic thorax bags, which provide enhanced protection to the driver and front and rear outboard passenger in certain impacts; each side air bag has its own impact sensor that triggers deployment on the side where an impact occurs
- Driver's-side knee air bag deploys with the advanced multistage driver air bag; located below the instrument panel, it's designed to properly position the occupant during impact and offer additional lower leg protection
- Front-passenger knee air bag deploys with the advanced multistage front passenger air bag; located below the instrument panel, it's designed to properly position the occupant during impact and offer additional lower leg protection
Other key features include:
- Front and rear crumple zones comprising specially formed structural members that absorb energy in a collision, helping protect the occupant cabin
- Safety cage body structure to help protect occupants by managing and controlling energy in the event of an impact
- Side guard door beams, consisting of reinforcement beams inside the doors that increase occupant protection in a side collision
- Front seat-belt adaptive/active load limiters, which are designed to optimize chest loading in an impact event
- Reactive head restraints that deploy in the event of a rear collision; designed to reduce injuries by minimizing the gap between the head restraint and the occupant's head
- Front seat-belt pretensioners, which remove slack in the seat belt system, thereby reducing the forward movement of the occupant's head and torso; activated by impact sensors
- Energy-absorbing steering column, which utilizes two hydroformed coaxial tubes that can move relative to each other, allowing the column to move forward for enhanced energy absorption during a crash; the feature employs a calibrated bending element that deforms during column stroke for optimal energy management
About the all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee
There is a new king of the hill in the mid-size sport-utility vehicle (SUV) segment: the all-new 2014 Jeep® Cherokee. The renowned Cherokee name returns to the Jeep® vehicle lineup for the 2014 model year. The result – the all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee completely redefines the mid-size SUV segment, delivering legendary Jeep 4x4 capability, a segment-first nine-speed automatic transmission, fuel economy improvements of more than 45 percent (versus the outgoing Liberty model), superior on-road ride and handling, a modern, revolutionary design, world-class craftsmanship, class-exclusive technology and more than 70 advanced safety and security features. The Jeep Cherokee is set to delight consumers both on the road and on the trail.
Powered by two new engines, three innovative new 4x4 systems that feature the first use of a fully-automated disconnecting rear axle, the Jeep Cherokee revolutionizes the mid-size SUV segment. The Cherokee delivers leading-edge technology customers will value, world-class craftsmanship and clever features like the available 8.4-inch touch screen media center, the seven-inch full color instrument cluster display, inventive storage solutions and cargo flexibility not found elsewhere in the segment with the Jeep Cargo Management system.
The all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee is available in four different models in the United States: Cherokee Sport, Cherokee Latitude, Cherokee Limited and Cherokee Trailhawk, and has a starting U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of $22,995 (excluding $995 destination).
Built on more than 70 years of legendary heritage, Jeep is the authentic SUV brand with class-leading capability, craftsmanship and versatility for people who seek extraordinary journeys. The Jeep brand delivers an open invitation to live life to the fullest by offering a full line of vehicles that continue to provide owners with a sense of security to handle any journey with confidence.
The Jeep vehicle lineup includes Cherokee, Compass, Grand Cherokee, Patriot, Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited. To meet consumer demand around the world, all Jeep models are sold outside North America – and all are available in right-hand-drive versions and with gasoline and diesel powertrain options. Chrysler Group LLC sells and services vehicles in approximately 120 countries around the world.
About Chrysler Group LLC
Chrysler Group LLC, formed in 2009 from a global strategic alliance with Fiat S.p.A., produces Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, SRT, Fiat and Mopar vehicles and products. With the resources, technology and worldwide distribution network required to compete on a global scale, the alliance builds on Chrysler Group's culture of innovation, first established by Walter P. Chrysler in 1925, and Fiat's complementary technology that dates back to its founding in 1899.
Headquartered in Auburn Hills, Mich., Chrysler Group's product lineup features some of the world's most recognizable vehicles, including the Chrysler 300, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Challenger and Ram 1500. Fiat contributes world-class technology, platforms and powertrains for small- and medium-size cars, allowing Chrysler Group to offer an expanded product line including environmentally friendly vehicles.