While Hertz charges you these fees, the fees originate elsewhere. For example, the airport charges each rental company fees for using its facilities, and the state charges rental car businesses fees for fleet registration. The fees we found from Hertz were comparable to those from other companies.
Young Renter Fee
Most locations require drivers to be at least 20 to rent a vehicle. Drivers between the ages of 20 and 24 will pay a young renter fee of $19 per day with Hertz. (The minimum age is 18 in New York and Michigan and 19 in Alabama and Nebraska.)
Hertz’s young renter fee is slightly cheaper than fees from other companies. For example, Enterprise charges around $25 per day and Budget charges $27 per day.
Additional Driver Fee
You can have someone else drive your rental car, but you may have to pay a fee depending on your relationship with them.
Authorized operators include spouses, domestic partners, and company managers or fellow employees if you booked the car with a company card. (Domestic partners need to have the same address on their driver’s licenses.) Authorized operators do not require a fee.
On the other hand, if you want a parent, child, or friend to drive your rental car, you’ll pay an additional driver fee of $13.50 per day ($189 maximum). You don’t have to pay a fee if you’re both AAA members, though.
At the time of rental, Hertz will place a hold on your card as a security deposit until you bring the car back. If you used a major credit card, the hold is up to $200. It can be up to $500 if you used a debit card. This is a separate hold from the payment charge whether you pay in advance or at pickup. Read your rental agreement carefully to be aware of all the fees, terms, and conditions.
Hertz offers a variety of add-on options when you make your reservation and when you pick the car up at the counter. Add-ons available at reservation include:
- Loss damage waiver: This releases you from responsibility if the car is damaged or stolen during your rental and doesn’t require a deductible.
- Extra liability coverage: You can add up to $1 million in bodily injury and property damage liability coverage (Hertz supplies basic liability coverage automatically).
- Personal accident and personal effects coverage: This adds up to $10,000 of medical coverage, $125,000 of accidental death insurance, and up to $1,800 for personal item coverage.
- Skip the full tank: This option allows you to drop off the car with an empty tank.
- SiriusXM®: Enjoy satellite radio during your rental.
- Child seats: Hertz offers infant child seats, standard child seats, and booster seats.
You can choose the following add-ons when you pick up the vehicle:
- Extra liability insurance
- Loss damage waiver
- Personal accident and personal effects insurance
- Premium emergency roadside assistance
Premium roadside assistance covers lockout assistance, battery jump-starts, fuel delivery, lost key service, spare tire installation, and travel interruption reimbursement. It also guarantees service in 90 minutes or you’ll get a refund for the roadside assistance charge that day.
For prepaid reservations, Hertz charges cancellation fees depending on when you cancel: