Ever feel as if you need more suspension travel? Say, your roads are rough, or you just want to climb stuff? Take a look at the suspension setup on the HST Gordini, the race truck Robby Gordon custom-built for the car category at Dakar. Here's Robby's celebration after winning the final stage of Dakar.
Let's make a list of things that can probably fit under Gordon's raised wheel:
- Your adorable niece
- A goat
- A rottweiler
- Medium-sized shrubberies
- One of those concrete traffic barriers
- Twelve chinchillas, stacked vertically
- Your couch
- The hood of a Miata
- At least two or three HST Gordini wheels laid on top of each other
- Eight gallons of Blue Bell Ice Cream
- Half of a 944 torque tube, laid vertically
- A small ornamental water fountain
- 104 back-issues of Motor Balls
- The Borg-Warner Trophy
If you haven't noticed by now, rally raid cars need a lot more suspension travel to deal with harsh, unpredictable terrain than most other race cars.
(Yes, it's a truck, but Dakar calls it a car because, well, have you seen their trucks?!)
Congratulations, Robby Gordon!