Autopom! combines the words, “automotive peace of mind,” and that’s what it strives to provide for drivers. In this autopom! review, we’ll look at the coverage, price, customer experience, and reputation of this vehicle service contract (VSC) provider.
Our research team has put many of the best extended car warranty companies under the microscope to help drivers make sense of the market. If you’re looking for an extended warranty, compare quotes from our recommended companies to find the best option.
In This Review:
- About autopom!
- Autopom! Extended Car Warranty Coverage
- Cost Of autopom! Extended Warranty
- How autopom! Extended Warranties Work
- Autopom! Reviews
- Bottom Line On autopom!: 4.5 Stars
- Top Recommendations For Extended Car Warranties
Autopom! was founded in Lake Forest, California, and it has been in business for 10 years. The company sells vehicle service contracts, which are also known as extended warranties. Instead of backing the plans itself, autopom! plans are backed by highly rated administrators.
Autopom! has an A+ rating with accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Autopom! reviews on the BBB and Trustpilot give the company high ratings, which is good to see. We’ll cover autopom! reviews more in-depth later on.
- Multiple contracts per coverage level
- Pays repair shop directly
- More than 30,000 shops to choose from
- Many positive customer reviews
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- No basic powertrain plan
- Certain contracts available in few states
Overall, we thought autopom! had the best customer service of any provider we researched. Autopom! reviews online back that up, and it was easy for our team to get a quote from the company. Autopom! customer service is also available for customers via text message, which is convenient.
Autopom! offers four main levels of breakdown coverage. Plans can cover vehicles up to 14 years old, and the longest coverage term is 150,000 miles. Here’s a summary of your options:
- Exclusionary: This level of coverage is similar to your car’s factory warranty. It’s an exclusionary plan and covers almost any electrical or mechanical breakdown.
- High-Level: This level covers hundreds of parts for most major systems of the vehicle. Some plans include high-tech components like the GPS or hybrid parts.
- Mid-Level: This coverage option is a good choice for cars with higher mileage. It covers the basic powertrain (engine, transmission, and drive axle) plus steering, braking, and parts on a few other systems.
- Powertrain Plus: The basic level of coverage includes the powertrain, air conditioning, basic electrical, and some other parts.
The interesting thing about autopom! is that different contracts will cover different things. Let’s break down the High-Level type as an example. Within that coverage type, you can choose between a few different contracts depending on the state where you live.
Mercury Deluxe plans cover the standard High-Level parts, plus additional hybrid and electrical components. Mercury Gold Mechanical Breakdown Insurance plans (available only in California) cover the standard parts, plus chassis hardware and audio center components. Royal Premium Mechanical Breakdown Insurance covers GPS systems.
The same thing is true at each coverage level. So, instead of choosing between four plans, you might have a dozen to pick from. Each plan will have a slightly different price, too.
Of course, no matter how extensive a vehicle protection plan is, it won’t cover everything. Here are a few exclusions common to autopom!’s extended vehicle service contracts:
- Car repairs made without prior authorization
- Damage from environmental events, accidents, or vandalism
- Misuse, off-road driving, and competitive driving
- Upgraded replacement parts that improve performance or value
- Vehicles with a tampered odometer
- Degradation of performance without a part failure
- Normal wear and tear
All autopom! contracts come with roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement. Most come with trip interruption, and some come with tire repair and concierge services. Also, benefit limits and terms may differ between contracts. Here’s an overview:
- 24/7 roadside assistance: This benefit covers towing, spare tire installation, fuel delivery, battery jump-starts, and lockout assistance up to a specified amount per occurrence.
- Rental car reimbursement: In the case of a covered repair, your contract provider will reimburse you up to a certain amount per day for rental coverage, usually $30 for a maximum of $150.
- Trip interruption: This coverage reimburses you for lodging and meals up to a certain amount in the case of a breakdown over 100 miles from home.
- Concierge services: This benefit can help you with event ticketing, travel assistance, finding an ATM, floral services, gift buying services, and directions.
- Tire repair or replacement: If you hit a road hazard, you can get reimbursed $20 per tire repair. If a tire is non-repairable and it has more than 3/32” of tread, the provider will reimburse you up to $100 for tire replacement ($400 maximum for the contract).
Coverage from autopom! can cost less than $100 a month, or you can pay several thousands of dollars upfront. Our team got two quotes for this autopom! review based on a Honda Civic with 30,000 miles and a Subaru Outback with 88,000 miles. Here’s what we found:
Vehicle: Honda Civic
- autopom! plan: Exclusionary
- Plan term: 7 years/105,000 miles
- Plan cost: $2,424 upfront
- Down payment: Full amount
- Deductible: $0
Vehicle: Subaru Outback
- autopom! plan: Powertrain Plus
- Plan term: 4 years/48,000 miles
- Plan cost: $95 for 24 months
- Down payment: $252
- Deductible: $100
Overall, autopom! costs are fairly reasonable compared to other providers. Generally, you might pay between $50 and $200 per month, so the $95 monthly payment is a good price.
Of course, you’ll find different prices when you look for quotes. Extended warranty costs are based on your car’s make, model, and mileage. Prices can also vary between states.
For our autopom! review, we also spent a bit of time talking to the sales staff. The whole phone call took about eight minutes. There was only one minute of hold time, and autopom! was easy to work with.
Claims are also easy. With an autopom! extended warranty, you can go to any licensed repair facility in the U.S. or Canada. After you give the repair shop the claims number for your contract, the provider will negotiate the repair and then pay the shop directly. You might have to authorize a diagnosis before the repair can be done, and autopom! will only cover the diagnosis if the failed part is covered, as well.
Depending on the plan you purchase, you can cancel for a full refund within 30 or 60 days, as long as you haven’t used any of the coverage. You can also get a prorated refund from autopom! after that based on time and mileage. But be aware that extended car warranty companies won’t refund you the whole amount after the guarantee period even if you haven’t used the plan.
If you sell your car, you can transfer the coverage to a secondary owner for a small fee, which is usually about $50.
While there aren’t a huge number of autopom! reviews, the vast majority of them are positive. Autopom! reviews on the BBB and on Trustpilot rate the company above four stars overall. Below are a few positive and negative examples.
“Autopom! seemed to have the best VSC at a fair price. Other VSC outfits I talked with were evasive, a bit rude, and outright dishonest about some provisions of their contracts. Autopom! seems different.” – Peter H., BBB
“I have used autopom! for years and for several cars. I have always been very happy with them.” – Ryan M., Trustpilot
“Autopom! said they would cover [the repair] and they wanted to [see] what it was going to cost. My mechanic submitted an estimate of $4,800. Autopom! said they will only pay $2,800.” – Anthony T., BBB
“Both the mechanic and the inspector identified the problem to be a cracked piston, which caused engine failure. However, autopom! denied the claim stating that the problem was a detonation of the piston.” – Larry R., BBB
After each negative autopom! review, someone from autopom! responds and lets the customer know they’ll look deeper into the matter. Usually, the problem is with an administrator and not autopom!’s service. From looking at other autopom! reviews, it seems the company changes its administrators from time to time to make sure its customers have the best experience.
Based on our research, autopom! is one of the best options out there. It stands out as having very few negative reviews, and it always works with customers to make things right. If you’re looking for an extended warranty (or mechanical breakdown insurance in California), autopom! is a good option.
- Reputation: 4.5
- Coverage: 4.0
- Price: 4.5
- Customer Experience: 4.5
When you look for car insurance, you probably check out prices from more than one company. The same applies for extended auto warranties. It’s always a good idea to get multiple quotes and compare plans.
While different drivers value different things, we think Endurance has the best extended car warranty coverage, and CARCHEX is the best choice for older vehicles.
Endurance has been around for 15 years. The company provides a slew of benefits during the first year of contract ownership, which include roadside assistance, a concierge, tire replacement, and discounts on retail. The company is a direct provider, and Endurance warranty reviews talk about its reliable claims process.
CARCHEX is a reliable vehicle service contract provider that has been around for 21 years. CARCHEX reviews give the company high scores, and the company maintains an A+ rating from the BBB with accreditation. There are five plans to choose from, and each one comes with a few perks.