If you’re looking for a flexible auto transporter, True Carrier might be one of the companies that comes up in your search. Our team looked into the company’s rates, shipping options, ratings, and customer reviews to see how True Carrier compared to the best car shipping companies on the market.
True Carrier Overview
On its website, True Carrier claims to have 13 years of experience in local and international auto transport. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) says that the company has been in business for four years. However, both parties seem to agree that the St. Petersburg, Florida-based company is a reputable provider of car shipping services.
There isn’t much information about the company on its website. We couldn’t find a USDOT number or license number, but the company has a good reputation with customers and ratings agencies.
True Carrier Pros And Cons
True Carrier Shipping Cost
How much it will cost to ship a car is usually the most important factor for customers. In our research, we reached out to True Carrier for a quote. We wanted to see how much it would cost to ship an operable 2018 Subaru Impreza from New York City to San Francisco, California.
But after submitting our contact information and shipping details, we never received a response. Despite multiple attempts to get a quote, we never heard back from True Carrier.
Average Car Shipping Cost
Our research shows that the average cost of shipping a car across the market is around $1,200. But there are huge variations in car shipping costs, namely due to distance. Most auto transporters charge by the mile. Usually, those rates go down on long-distance shipments.
Here are some national average rates, courtesy of uShip–a car shipping marketplace that works with over 40,000 active carriers.
- Average cost per mile, under 200 miles: $2.92
- Average cost per mile, over 1,000 miles: $0.78
Car Shipping Cost Factors
The biggest factor in car shipping cost is distance, but it isn’t the only one. There are several variables that go into transport rates. Here are some of the main factors vehicle movers use to calculate rates:
- Shipping time frame: If you can be flexible about your pick-up date and delivery time, you’ll typically get the best rates. Expediting your car shipment can cost much more.
- Shipping options: Some options cost more than others. For example, shipping your car in an enclosed trailer generally costs more than on an open car carrier.
- Vehicle type: Trucks, SUVs, and other large vehicles usually cost more to ship than smaller cars. More expensive vehicles often cost more to ship than less expensive ones.
- Vehicle condition: You can ship a car that’s inoperable, but it’s more expensive.
- Time of year: You’ll generally have your best luck finding cheap car shipping in the fall and early winter when demand is at its lowest. Summertime tends to be the most expensive.
- Cost of fuel: Fuel costs are one of the main expenses for truck drivers. Your costs go up when theirs do.
True Carrier Car Shipping Services
On its website, True Carrier offers a wide range of vehicle transport options. Here are the transportation services you can get with True Carrier:
- Door-to-door shipping: Your motor carrier will pick up and deliver your vehicle as close to your home or business as is possible.
- Open transport: This exposes your car to potential damage from weather and road debris, but it is usually significantly cheaper.
- Enclosed transport: You can pay extra to keep your vehicle safer from damage by shipping it in an enclosed container.
- International shipping: True Carrier can help you ship your car to or from another country.
- Shipping to all 50 states: Not all auto transport companies can ship a car to Hawaii or Alaska, but it’s an option with True Carrier.
- Alternative vehicle shipping: You can also ship vehicles other than cars, like RVs, ATVs, and motorcycles.
- Boat shipping: True Carrier can help you ship boats, jet skis, and other aquatic vehicles.
- Expedited transport: You can ship your vehicle in a hurry if you need to. But this is typically much more expensive.
True Carrier Reviews
Although True Carrier is not accredited by the BBB, the agency did give it an A- rating. This rating is based on the number of customer complaints a company receives and how it responds to those complaints. That means True Carrier does a satisfactory job dealing with customers, according to the BBB.
The company has strong ratings in the customer review section of its BBB page, where it nearly has 4.3 out of 5.0 stars from customers. True Carrier also has a solid reputation with customers on Trustpilot with 4.7 out of 5.0 stars.
Positive True Carrier Reviews
Many of the favorable True Carrier reviews we saw said the same thing–they had helpful service from their agent and an easy shipping process.
“[Agent] from [True Carrier] helped me secure a truck for moving my car from Austin to Seattle and he was the only carrier who kept on giving me options personally rather than just sending a generic email.”
– Prakash, Trustpilot
“[Agent] was great. He was fast to return emails, texts, and phone calls. He followed up at every step of the way. If I ever need to ship my car again I would love to work with [agent] again.”
– Taylor, Trustpilot
Negative True Carrier Reviews
Some people reported having a different experience with True Carrier than those who left positive feedback. Negative reviews also had a consistent pattern–prices jumping, service dates changing, and unresponsive customer service.
“No communication, no follow-up. Never returned my calls, nor emails. After signing I waited and waited–crickets! When [agent] finally answered he told me my transport would be $150 more than the quoted price.”
– Doug, Trustpilot
“They gave me three different pick-up dates, each later than the contracted date. The third date they gave me they also informed me it would cost me an additional $250.00.”
– John, Trustpilot
Bottom Line On True Carrier: 3.2 Stars
True Carrier has a lot to offer as a shipping provider. You have plenty of options with the company and it has a good reputation within the industry. That said, it was strange that we didn’t receive a response when we requested a quote. Still, the company has more than 200 positive reviews from customers between Trustpilot and the BBB.
Top Recommendations For Car Shipping
Even if you decide to check out True Carrier for yourself, we always recommend getting car shipping quotes online from multiple providers. That way, you can compare offers and find the best rates for you. Either of these companies would be a great place to start your search.
AmeriFreight: Best For Discounts
AmeriFreight deserves a look for its range of shipping options and customer support. But what really makes this shipping provider stand out is the company’s extensive discount program. Any kind of discount is a rarity among transport companies, but AmeriFreight has tons of opportunities. Discounts range from early booking to senior citizens.
The company is accredited by the BBB and has an A+ rating from the agency. AmeriFreight has a similarly strong reputation among customers, who gave the company an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.0 stars across more than 1,100 reviews.
Read our AmeriFreight review for a closer look at the company.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best For Locked-In Rates
Consistent customer service and affordable rates were enough to land Sherpa Auto Transport near the top of our list of best car shipping companies. But Sherpa offers something not many others do with its Price Lock Promise–locked-in rates. That means the rate you see in your quote is what you’ll pay.
Sherpa Auto Transport is accredited by the BBB. It also has an A+ rating from the organization. Customers on the BBB site gave Sherpa a 4.9-star average rating which is among the highest in our study.
For a more in-depth look at the provider, including its rates and services, read our Sherpa Auto Transport review.
FAQ: True Carrier
How We Rate Auto Shippers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car shipping companies. While there are multiple qualities that make an auto transport provider successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between providers because so many factors impact auto shipping rates. To determine our cost score, we perform a secret shopper analysis for a variety of vehicles and routes.
- Services: Our team of experts looks at the types of services available, as well as insurance coverage and the ability to guarantee pickup and drop-off dates. Ratings also take into account whether the transport company is a broker or a carrier.
- Reputation: It’s important that a car shipping provider is able to deliver your vehicle in a safe and timely manner. Companies with a strong rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) score well in this category. Established providers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Customer Experience: We comb through consumer reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Car transport companies with a low volume of complaints score well in this area.
*Data accurate at time of publication.