Content on Jalopnik Advisor is commercial in nature and independent of Jalopnik Editorial and Advertising. Jalopnik Advisor content is free to consumers and always will be, however we and our partners may be compensated if you purchase a product or service through the links on this website.
ToyotaCare is a no-cost maintenance plan included with every new Toyota vehicle. It is not a warranty, but rather a program designed to help Toyota owners with routine scheduled maintenance including oil changes and tire rotations and to bring peace of mind with 24-hour roadside assistance.
This article reviews exactly what’s covered by ToyotaCare, explains how the program works, and details how you can extend coverage with ToyotaCare Plus. We’ll also show you how to keep your car protected with coverage from the best extended car warranty companies on the market.
Overview of ToyotaCare
ToyotaCare covers factory scheduled maintenance and servicing for 2 years/25,000 miles, whichever comes first. It also includes 24-hour emergency roadside assistance for 2 years/unlimited miles.
ToyotaCare maintenance is performed exclusively by Toyota-trained technicians using genuine parts from Toyota. Maintenance services covered under ToyotaCare include:
- Change engine oil and filters
- Rotate tires
- Perform multi-point inspections
- Inspect and adjust fluid levels
ToyotaCare’s 24-hour roadside assistance covers services such as:
- Battery jump-starts
- Lockout services
- Emergency fuel deliveries
- Flat tire services
How Does ToyotaCare Work?
ToyotaCare provides service at regularly scheduled intervals indicated in the Toyota maintenance guide. When it’s time for your vehicle to head to the service center, Toyota will send you a reminder. Simply take your vehicle to a participating Toyota dealership and maintenance will be performed at no cost. The Toyota maintenance schedule is as follows:
- 6 months/5,000 miles
- 12 months/10,000 miles
- 18 months/15,000 miles
- 24 months/20,000 miles
To use ToyotaCare’s roadside assistance feature, customers should call 800-444-4195.
How Much Does ToyotaCare Cost?
ToyotaCare is included with all new Toyotas, whether they’re purchased or leased. You cannot purchase ToyotaCare separately, but existing customers can extend the length of ToyotaCare coverage by purchasing ToyotaCare Plus.
To find out how much ToyotaCare Plus would cost for your car, contact a participating Toyota dealer. Expect rates to be different for a Prius than for a RAV4 or other SUV, as the models require different servicing equipment and have varying maintenance needs.
ToyotaCare Plus Overview
If you’re satisfied with your ToyotaCare plan and want to purchase additional coverage, you can opt for ToyotaCare Plus. Vehicles must be within 37 months of their date of first use and have fewer than 31,000 miles to be eligible for ToyotaCare Plus.
Here are the services drivers get with ToyotaCare Plus:
- Oil and filter changes
- Tire rotations
- Multi-point inspections
- Any scheduled services in your vehicle’s maintenance guide
- 24-hour roadside assistance
ToyotaCare Plus offers six term length options for extending your coverage:
- 3 years/35,000 miles
- 3 years/45,000 miles
- 4 years/45,000 miles
- 4 years/60,000 miles
- 5 years/55,000 miles
- 5 years/75,000 miles
ToyotaCare Plus contracts can be transferred for a $50 fee and canceled for a full refund within 30 days.
Toyota Extended Warranty Overview
Toyota offers three vehicle service agreements that can extend coverage for up to 10 years/125,000 miles past your car’s original in-service date. All plans include either a $0 or $100 disappearing deductible and come with roadside assistance, substitute transportation coverage, and trip interruption benefits.
Below are the details of Toyota’s vehicle service agreements:
- Platinum Protection: As the closest Toyota extended warranty to bumper-to-bumper coverage, Platinum Protection covers nearly all critical components of your vehicle.
- Gold Protection: This plan covers a far broader array of parts than Powertrain Protection, but leaves off many lesser-known vehicle components.
- Powertrain Protection: Fully covers your car’s engine, transmission, axle assembly, and other essential parts.
Ranges from 3 years/50,000 miles
to 10 years/125,000 miles
Ranges from 3 years/50,000 miles
to 8 years/125,000 miles
6 years/100,000 total miles
Toyota vehicle service agreements offer extensive coverage on top of ToyotaCare, but it’s generally recommended to consider third-party extended warranties as well. These options are known for longer coverage terms, extensive coverage of vehicle components, and lower prices on average.
Recommended Extended Warranty Providers
New Toyotas come with the following new vehicle warranty coverage:
- 3-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty
- 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty
- 5-year/unlimited-mile rust-through coverage
- Emissions coverage if applicable
It’s good to consider third-party protection plans, as they generally offer more flexibility. Two of the industry’s best extended auto warranty providers are Endurance and CARCHEX, which offer affordable rates and high-quality plans.
Endurance: Best Coverage
Offering a wide range of coverage options, Endurance is a strong choice for customers who want complete protection. Endurance offers these vehicle protection plans:
- EnduranceAdvantage™: A plan covering most vehicle components and includes maintenance services
- Supreme: An exclusionary bumper-to-bumper warranty that includes coverage for the vast majority of mechanical and electrical parts
- Superior: A named-component plan for hundreds of listed parts, including the cooling system, suspension, and fuel system
- Secure Plus: A mid-level plan that has slightly more coverage than the Secure plan, with coverage for air conditioning, brake components, gaskets, and steering
- Secure: A basic powertrain plan that covers the engine, transmission, and drive axle
- Select Premier: A plan specially designed for high-mileage vehicles, with coverage mostly for powertrain components
Endurance warranty reviews speak highly of the free year of Endurance Elite Benefits that comes with each plan. This program provides customers with the following perks:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Total loss protection
- Collision discount
- Key fob replacement
- Tire repair and replacement services
CARCHEX: Best For Used Cars
CARCHEX also offers a plethora of coverage meant to fit every customer’s needs. Plans offered by CARCHEX include:
- Titanium: Provides exclusionary bumper-to-bumper coverage for nearly all vehicle systems
- Platinum: Includes all parts covered by the Gold plan, plus the suspension, high-tech electronics, and the fuel delivery system
- Gold: Covers everything in the Silver plan, as well as enhanced coverage for steering, electrical, braking, and air conditioning components
- Silver: Includes powertrain coverage plus limited electric and air conditioning components
- Bronze: Provides basic coverage for the engine, transmission, and drivetrain
Benefits from CARCHEX are quite robust and last for the duration of your coverage plan. Customers gain access to these services:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Rental car reimbursement
- Trip interruption coverage
- Towing services
CARCHEX reviews show that it offers some of the lowest prices of any extended warranty provider. It’s certainly a company worth looking into if you are considering a vehicle service contract.