Auto Shipping Overview
Auto shipping companies help car owners move their vehicles both domestically and internationally. There are two main types of auto transport companies: brokers and car carriers.
Auto transport brokers connect customers with a network of carriers rather than shipping the vehicles themselves. When someone requests a vehicle shipment, a broker acts as the middleman to find a carrier that’s best suited for the job. In contrast, car carriers actually transport vehicles.
Carriers are legally required to carry auto shipping insurance with minimum liability limits set by the government. While it’s not legally mandated, many companies also offer add-on insurance coverage for protection against damage or loss.
What Are Your Car Shipping Options?
There are several ways to ship a vehicle, including by train, airplane, or standard carrier truck. Our research found that the most popular transport method is by open carrier. In our car shipping survey, over 42 percent of the 1,000 respondents said they chose to transport their vehicles this way, followed by about 20 percent who opted for enclosed carrier shipping.
Here are some of the most popular types of transport in the car shipping industry:
How Much Does Car Shipping Cost?
Car shipping costs vary widely depending on the transport carrier you choose. According to Easy Auto Ship and Montway Auto Transport, you can expect to pay between 40 cents and $2 per mile when moving your vehicle. You’ll pay higher costs per mile if you’re transporting your vehicle 500 miles or less. While cross-country shipments have lower per-mile rates, they cost more overall.
Here are some car shipping estimates for open trailer transport provided by Easy Auto Ship and Montway Auto Transport:
- 500 miles or less: $1 to $1.96 per mile
- 500 to 1,500 miles: 60 to 93 cents per mile
- 1,500 miles or more: 40 to 60 cents per mile
In our car shipping survey, about 41 percent of respondents reported paying between $1,000 and $1,999 for vehicle transport services.
What Affects Car Shipping Costs?
Car shipping costs are highly variable and are influenced by several factors. These include:
How Does The Car Shipping Process Work?
We’ve outlined five steps below to help guide you through how vehicle shipping works.
1. Get Quotes From Providers.
We recommend getting car shipping quotes online from auto transporters, as this will help you find the best price for vehicle transport. You’ll likely be asked to provide the following information to get a quote:
- Vehicle make, model, and age
- Time frame for pickup and delivery
- Pickup and delivery locations
- Preferred car transport services
- Vehicle operability
- Your name, phone number, and email address
Each company has its own quote process. Some companies, like Montway Auto Transport and Easy Auto Ship, offer instant quotes online. Others may want to iron details out over the phone before providing a price.
2. Choose A Provider.
After you get car shipping quotes, it’s time to decide which company offers you the best services at a reasonable price. The cheapest option may not always be the best or most reputable choice. It pays to do thorough research on each provider, including making sure your chosen provider is licensed by the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT).
Below, we recommend two reputable companies worth considering if you don’t know where to start.
3. Prepare Your Car For Transport.
Once you’ve booked transport for your vehicle, the next step is preparing it for shipment. Make sure you’ve done the following before the carrier comes to pick your car up:
- Remove all personal items from your car.
- Have only a quarter tank of gas at the time of shipment.
- Inspect your car and take pictures in case of any damage.
4. Wait For Delivery.
You can call your shipping company or broker for updates on your vehicle’s location during transport. Some companies offer GPS tracking, though it’s rare.
5. Pick Your Vehicle Up And Inspect It.
Once your vehicle is delivered, check it for damage and pay any remaining balance to the auto transport carrier. You’ll also sign the bill of lading in this final step, which confirms your car arrived safely at its destination.
What To Look For When Choosing A Car Shipping Company
Before booking auto transport services, research the providers you’re most interested in. You should:
- Read online reviews and check ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Confirm insurance offerings with each car shipper and truck driver.
- Check licensing information with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Recommendations For Car Shipping
Now that you understand how car shipping works, we recommend reaching out to legitimate companies for car shipping quotes online. We found that Montway Auto Transport and Sherpa Auto Transport offer some of the country’s best car shipping options and have excellent reputations for customer service.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Overall
Montway Auto Transport has over 15 years of experience in the transport industry and has shipped more than 100,000 vehicles, which is why we named it Best Overall for 2022. The company works with a network of over 15,000 car carriers, which helps ensure low shipping prices for its customers.
The auto transporter is accredited by the BBB and holds an A+ rating from the organization. With over 2,200 customer reviews on the site, Montway has an average rating of 4.6 out of 5.0 stars.
Keep reading: Montway Auto Transport reviews
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best For Locked-In Rates
Sherpa Auto Transport is one of the most reputable car shipping companies in the nation, backed up by a large number of positive customer reviews. The auto transport broker has an A+ rating from the BBB and has been accredited by the organization since 2018.
Sherpa Auto Transport sets itself apart from competitors through its Price Lock Promise, which locks in your rate so it won’t rise after your initial quote. The company also offers its Clean Car Guarantee, which promises to reimburse you up to $20 for a car wash after your vehicle arrives.
Keep reading: Sherpa Auto Transport reviews
How We Rate Auto Shippers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car shipping companies. While there are multiple qualities that make an auto transport provider successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between providers because so many factors impact auto shipping rates. To determine our cost score, we perform a secret shopper analysis for a variety of vehicles and routes.
- Services: Our team of experts looks at the types of services available, as well as insurance coverage and the ability to guarantee pickup and drop-off dates. Ratings also take into account whether the transport company is a broker or a carrier.
- Reputation: It’s important that a car shipping provider is able to deliver your vehicle in a safe and timely manner. Companies with a strong rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) score well in this category. Established providers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Customer Experience: We comb through consumer reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Car transport companies with a low volume of complaints score well in this area.
*Data accurate at time of publication.