Content on Jalopnik Advisor is commercial in nature and independent of Jalopnik Editorial and Advertising. Jalopnik Advisor content is free to consumers and always will be, however we and our partners may be compensated if you purchase a product or service through the links on this website.
Thanks to its top-notch customer service and Price Lock Promise, many Sherpa Auto Transport reviews give the carrier high marks. The auto transport broker also receives praise from customers for its stress-free shipping process and proven record of reliability, which is why we named it one of the best car shipping companies of 2023.
To help you decide if you should trust your vehicle with Sherpa, we’ve taken a closer look at the shipping broker’s cost, services, and reputation. We also explore what customers who have used Sherpa have to say about the experience.
Sherpa Auto Transport Review
Sherpa Auto Transport has many strengths, from excellent customer service to the added security of the Price Lock Promise. We name Sherpa the Best for Locked-In Rates in the auto transport industry, though the company’s benefits go far beyond that.
Is Sherpa Auto Transport Legit?
Sherpa Auto Transport is a relatively new auto shipping company that has garnered strong praise from drivers. The company sets itself apart from other transport brokers in the industry by offering locked-in pricing and a Clean Car Guarantee. With Sherpa, you can have your car shipped anywhere in the continental U.S. on an open or enclosed carrier.
Sherpa Auto Transport reviews are largely positive, with many speaking favorably about the company’s excellent communication and friendly representatives. In our auto shipping survey that polled 1,000 consumers, Sherpa Auto Transport was the fifth most popular auto transport company with 7 percent of respondents reporting that they used its services. Here’s how the company compares with other providers in our survey:
Additionally, we award Sherpa the Best for Locked-In Rates after reviewing the best auto shipping companies of 2022–a nod to its transparent pricing structure and efforts to provide stress-free service.
Sherpa Auto Transport Phone Number: (855) 910-0558
Sherpa Auto Transport Ratings
We compiled both positive and negative reviews of Sherpa Auto Transport to help you make the best decision on your car shipping provider. Below are some customer and BBB reviews of Sherpa Auto Transport.
Sherpa Auto Transport Customer Satisfaction
In our recent shipping survey, 74 out of the 1,000 respondents reported using Sherpa Auto Transport to ship their car. Out of those 74 respondents, 60 percent reported that they were satisfied with the shipping company.
Here’s a look at the complete breakdown of Sherpa Auto Transport customer satisfaction from our survey:
Sherpa Auto Transport BBB
With full accreditation and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), Sherpa Auto Transport has a reputation for quality service. That’s also seen from Sherpa’s 4.9 out of 5.0-star rating based on roughly 220 customer reviews on the BBB website.
Positive Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews
Happy customers mention Sherpa Auto Transport’s timely deliveries, strong communication with customers, and commitment to an initially offered price.
“Sherpa was fast, efficient, and extremely communicative throughout the entire process. I had zero issues with the pickup or delivery and would recommend to anyone in need of vehicle transport.”
– A.A. Ron, BBB
“Sherpa did a fantastic job shipping our car across the country. They gave us a quote without any hidden fees, picked up when scheduled, and delivered early, which fit our schedule perfectly. We were extremely satisfied.”
– Janine W, BBB
Sherpa Auto Transport Complaints
Not all Sherpa Auto Transport reviews come from satisfied customers. Some people pan the company’s customer service and say that details were switched up on them unexpectedly.
“The broker does not answer the phone and has not let us know where the car is. There is no customer service. We had to change the pickup dates and location.”
– Michelle M., Google Reviews
“Terrible customer service and unprofessional representatives. Give your money to a company that earns it, not to rude companies that train staff how to pressure and talk down to customers.”
– Alex L., Google Reviews
Because Sherpa Auto Transport is a broker, it works with a number of different movers. This means that customer experience may vary depending on the particular driver that books your shipment.
Sherpa Auto Transport Google Reviews
Based on 900 Google Reviews, Sherpa has a rating of 4.7/5.0 stars. Even though this is not an accredited source, we still trust the results because of the large number of reviews on Sherpa Auto Transport from Google users.
Sherpa Auto Transport Prices
While many Sherpa Auto Transport reviews mention it having some of the best customer service in the vehicle shipping industry, the company tends to be on the pricier side. Our research found that quotes for open transport range from $600 for a 500-mile trip to $1,650 for a 2,770-mile trip.
In our auto shipping survey, 80 percent of the 1,000 respondents reported that cost was the most critical factor when choosing a company. The survey also showed that over 41 percent of respondents paid between $1,000 and $1,999 for their vehicle shipment.
Sherpa Auto Transport Quote
The table below lists some sample quotes we received using Sherpa’s online car shipping quote tool. All pricing is for operable vehicles.
Sherpa Auto Transport Sample Quotes
Open / Enclosed Transport
Sherpa Auto Transport Price Estimate
Charlotte, North Carolina to Cleveland, Ohio (515 miles)
2018 Hyundai Elantra
Washington, District of Columbia to Seattle, Washington (2,761 miles)
2018 Hyundai Elantra
The higher prices may be somewhat offset by Sherpa Auto Transport’s Price Lock Promise, which guarantees that your stated shipping price is the exact amount you’ll pay. With the Price Lock Promise, Sherpa Auto Transport can end up being a strong cheap car shipping option. Sherpa spells out all of its costs at the start instead of using bait-and-switch pricing, which some auto transporters are prone to do.
Sherpa Car Shipping Cost Factors
Your own Sherpa quotes may differ from ours based on factors such as:
- Time of year: Summer months and January tend to be more expensive
- Vehicle size: The larger the car, the more expensive it will be to move
- Urgency: The sooner you need the delivery date, the more it will cost
- Type of transport: Open car transport is cheaper than enclosed car transport
- Distance: Cross-country shipping from California to New York or Florida costs more than regional routes overall but less per mile
- Delivery location: Urban areas like or Houston are on more popular trade routes, so shipping to major cities is less expensive than rural location
- Price of fuel: If fuel costs are higher, expect your car shipment to cost more
If you’re trying to avoid the hassle of high car shipping costs, send your vehicle via open transport and provide a flexible delivery window.
Sherpa Online Quotes
To determine the exact cost to ship your own vehicle, you can get quotes through Sherpa’s website. Their online quote tool can return your estimated delivery cost in less than a minute. Simply be ready to input the following information:
- Phone number
- Vehicle information
- Drop off and pickup locations
- Drop off and pickup dates
You can also also request that Sherpa follow up with an email or phone call to discuss your delivery options in greater detail.
Car Shipping Services: Sherpa Auto Transport
Sherpa Auto Transport offers several standard vehicle shipping options, including:
- Shipping for cars, SUVs, and pickup trucks
- Transport of inoperable vehicles
- Shipping for collector and classic cars
- Open or enclosed trailer shipping
- Guaranteed pickup dates
- Expedited shipping (in some areas)
Compared to other car delivery companies, Sherpa Auto Transport’s services aren’t as extensive. Sherpa Auto Transport reviews sometimes mention frustration with its lack of terminal-to-terminal delivery, which costs less than door-to-door service. The company also doesn’t offer shipments of motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, or boats. Additionally, shipping a car to Hawaii, Alaska, and international locales is off-limits with Sherpa.
With the Sherpa Auto Transport Clean Car Guarantee, drivers get a complimentary car wash (valued at up to $20) within a week of their vehicle arriving at its destination. The free car wash comes in the form of a rebate and is cited as a plus in multiple Sherpa Auto Transport reviews.
Sherpa Auto Transport Tracking
Sherpa Auto Transport does offer vehicle tracking. If you call 1-877-850-1231 you can learn information about the location, delays, arrival time and issues of your shipment.
Sherpa shines, however, when it comes to its insurance coverage plan. Every car carrier working with Sherpa Auto Transport is thoroughly vetted and required to carry at least $100,000 in cargo insurance coverage and a minimum of $1 million in liability coverage.
Sherpa Auto Transport Payments And Cancellations
The amount due on the final bill of lading shouldn’t be a surprise for drivers due to the accurate pricing of the Price Lock Promise. Credit cards can be used for your initial charges, but truckers only take cash or certified checks for the final payment.
Customers who cancel their shipments before a trucker has been assigned will receive complete reimbursement minus a $25 dispatch fee. Expect to cover the full initial payment if a carrier has already been dispatched to your vehicle shipment.
Car Shipping Process: Sherpa Auto Transport
Sherpa Auto Transport operates as a car shipping broker, meaning it arranges transport services with a carrier from its network. This makes the overall car shipping process with Sherpa easy and hassle-free.
Here’s an overview of how to ship your car with Sherpa Auto Transport:
- Call or request a car shipping quote online. After you complete the request, a Sherpa representative will contact you immediately by phone or email.
- Book online. Once you’re satisfied with your rate, you can book your order and make the initial payment.
- Prepare for pick up. On the day of delivery, Sherpa will give you a two- to four-hour window for when to expect your driver. Make sure to remove all personal belongings from your vehicle before the truck arrives.
- Inspect your vehicle. Once the driver arrives, you will inspect your vehicle with them for any damage. Your car will then be loaded onto the carrier.
- Get updates and prepare for delivery. During transport, a Sherpa representative will call you with updates and an estimated two- to four-hour window for your vehicle’s arrival.
- Sign the bill of lading. After you inspect your vehicle for damage, you will sign the bill of lading and pay the remaining balance to the driver with cash or a certified check.
Sherpa Car Shipping: Conclusion
We reviewed Sherpa Auto Transport and rate it 4.6 out of 5.0 stars. Below are some of Sherpa Auto Transport’s top competitors:
Sherpa Auto Transport Competitors
Our review team examined all of the industry’s best car shipping companies, looking at service options, costs, and customer reviews. Based on this, we rank Easy Auto Ship and Montway Auto Transport in the top providers along with Sherpa Auto Transport. As with Sherpa, you can request a free quote online from both of these brokers.
Easy Auto Ship: 4.4 Stars
Easy Auto Ship reviews praise its plethora of auto transport services and highly competitive rates, making it an appealing option for potential customers.
Easy Auto Ship promises no hidden fees once you’ve accepted the terms of a shipment. On top of this, the company’s seamless booking and shipping processes and breadth of services make it our choice for the provider that is Best for Quick Pickup.
Read more: Easy Auto Ship reviews
Montway Auto Transport: 4.7 Stars
Montway Auto Transport reviews reflect the company’s efficiency, reliability, and below-average prices, which explain why the company delivers more than 100,000 vehicles each year.
A 4.6-star average out of 5.0 from over 6,300 customers on Google and accreditation from the BBB reflect Montway’s high standards. Like most auto transport providers, Montway offers online quotes free of charge. For all this, we rate Montway Auto Transport the Best Overall car shipping company.
Read more: Montway Auto Transport reviews
Below are some frequently asked questions about Sherpa Auto Transport:
Sherpa Transport Reviews: FAQ
How We Rate Auto Shippers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car shipping companies. While there are multiple qualities that make an auto transport provider successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between providers because so many factors impact auto shipping rates. To determine our cost score, we perform a secret shopper analysis for a variety of vehicles and routes.
- Services: Our team of experts looks at the types of services available, as well as insurance coverage and the ability to guarantee pickup and drop-off dates. Ratings also take into account whether the transport company is a broker or a carrier.
- Reputation: It’s important that a car shipping provider is able to deliver your vehicle in a safe and timely manner. Companies with a strong rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) score well in this category. Established providers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Customer Experience: We comb through consumer reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Car transport companies with a low volume of complaints score well in this area.
*Data accurate at time of publication.