Pros And Cons
|Safe-Guard Products International Pros||Safe-Guard Products International Cons|
|Emergency roadside assistance||Expensive protection plans|
|Towing coverage||Below-average customer reviews|
|Rental car reimbursement||Plans must be purchased through a participating dealership|
|Emergency travel reimbursement|
Safe-Guard Products International Rating
Safe-Guard Products International offers more than a dozen types of vehicle protection, including tire repair and replacement and mechanical breakdown coverage. Safe-Guard auto warranties give drivers many choices, but are the company’s products worth it?
In this review, we’ll look at Safe-Guard auto warranty plans and the company’s customer and industry ratings. We’ve reviewed the 10 best extended car warranty companies, so we’ll also suggest two of our top picks to help you in your search for the right vehicle coverage.
About Safe-Guard Products International
Safe-Guard Products International, based in Atlanta, has a 30-year history in the extended automotive warranty industry. There are more than a dozen Safe-Guard auto warranty options, ranging from dent repair to comprehensive warranties for a vehicle’s major systems.
Cost Of A Safe-Guard Auto Extended Warranty
Through our review team’s research, we found that customers reportedly spent between $1,500 and $4,000 on an extended warranty from Safe-Guard Products International. That makes the average cost $2,750.
As our review team was unable to determine a specific price for Safe-Guard’s extended auto warranty, it’s difficult to say how competitively priced the company’s services are. However, in our 2021 consumer survey, 66.8 percent of respondents reported paying $2,499 or less for an extended car warranty.
Safe-Guard Products International extended car warranties are sold exclusively through participating dealerships, meaning pricing will vary from one dealership to another. Common factors that may affect the price of an extended warranty for your vehicle include:
- Vehicle mileage
- Vehicle age
- Vehicle model
- Term length
Safe-Guard Products International Extended Car Warranty Coverage
Safe-Guard Products International offers different levels of extended warranty coverage, most notably its Vehicle Service Protection (VSP). VSP covers mechanical repairs, the cost of parts, and the cost of labor. Other extended auto warranty plans from Safe-Guard Products International include:
- Precision Care: Replaces common wear-and-tear items, as well as 1,500 major mechanical components
- CPO: Covers mechanical repairs for components such as your engine, transmission, and drivetrain for certified pre-owned vehicles
- CPO Wrap: Covers the mechanical parts of your CPO vehicle, from the engine and transmission to brakes and audio/navigation
- Prepaid maintenance: Transferrable coverage for oil and oil filter changes
- Tire and wheel protection: Repairs or replaces tires, rims, and wheels damaged by everyday road hazards
- Dent protection: Provides coverage for dents and dings through paintless dent repair
- Windshield protection: Repairs or replaces the windshield
- Appearance protection: Covers interior and exterior damage to the vehicle
- Key protection: Replaces the vehicle’s key or transponder
- Guaranteed asset protection: Provides coverage for the “gap” between what your insurance company covers and the balance you owe on your vehicle after it’s declared a total loss
- Lease-end protection: Covers everyday wear and tear such as chipped paint, glass chips, scratches, interior stains, and tears on your leased vehicle
- Vehicle theft protection: Includes theft warning window decals, vehicle marking with traceable ID codes, and a financial benefit if your vehicle is not recovered or is damaged beyond reasonable repair
- Identity theft protection: Provides coverage in the event your identity is stolen
How Safe-Guard Products International Extended Warranties Work
Safe-Guard auto warranties offer a long list of coverage options and levels to fit customers’ needs. Safe-Guard doesn’t provide auto insurance, and all of its extended warranty plans are optional to purchase.
Explaining Extended Warranties
Extended warranties are optional service plans you can purchase to protect your vehicle once your manufacturer’s warranty expires. They typically offer coverage over major mechanical parts in your vehicle, though this depends on the level of coverage you choose.
There are two types of extended automotive warranties: inclusive and exclusionary. Inclusive warranties list all the parts that are covered by the warranty, while exclusionary warranties list only the parts that aren’t covered.
The three main categories of extended warranties are:
- Bumper-to-bumper warranty: Most comprehensive coverage of the three main categories of warranties. These exclusionary contracts will cover all of the main parts between the front and rear bumper of your vehicle when it goes into the repair facility.
- Powertrain warranty: An inclusive plan that covers your wheels and what powers them, like your engine.
- Named-component warranty: These inclusive agreements provide coverage for all the parts listed in your contract.
Safe-Guard Products International Reviews
While Safe-Guard Products International is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ BBB rating, its customer reviews are mixed. Every provider you may consider will have customer complaints, and since Safe-Guard administers more than 3 million contracts each year, it’s bound to have some negative reviews.
Positive Safe-Guard Auto Warranty Reviews
Some customers were happy with Safe-Guard’s services and their experiences with the company.
“I’m so satisfied and feel secure and confident that this company will always take care of me.”
– Natoka W. via BBB
“They offer a bunch of services, but I can only comment on their used car warranty. I easily give them 4 out of 5 stars!”
– MPM via BBB
Negative Safe-Guard Auto Warranty Reviews
Others weren’t pleased with their experiences and posted negative comments.
“This company is a complete joke and is very unorganized and unprofessional. They will use absolutely any and every excuse to not pay for a claim.”
– Jenni S. via BBB
“This company claims to provide a service. However, when it’s time to pay the remaining balance, they don’t hold up to that claim.”
– Laticia H. via BBB
Bottom Line On Safe-Guard Products International: 2.7 Stars
Safe-Guard Products International is not a customer favorite. Through our research, we found a large number of negative reviews for Safe-Guard auto warranties. Negative reviews are not uncommon in the auto warranty industry, but Safe-Guard had an overwhelming number of them.
Safe-Guard Products International’s best attribute is the number of warranty plans it offers with varying levels of coverage. This allows consumers to choose more personalized plans that cover only the things they need.
Top Recommendations For Extended Car Warranties
Whether or not you’re considering a Safe-Guard auto warranty, we recommend checking out Endurance and CARCHEX, our two top providers.
Endurance: 4.6 Stars
Our review team found Endurance to offer the best extended warranty available and gave it the Best Coverage award in our 2022 review. Endurance offers six coverage plans for vehicles up to 8 years/200,000 miles, making the company a good option for extended warranties for cars over 100,000 miles.
Endurance is a direct automotive warranty provider, meaning it administers its own contracts. Founded in 2006, the company offers extended warranties in every state except California. Endurance has an average customer rating of 4.3 out of 5.0 stars on Trustpilot for its excellent customer support and business handlings.
Each Endurance warranty plan comes with one free year of Endurance Elite Benefits, which includes:
- Roadside assistance
- Total loss protection
- A collision discount
- Key fob replacement
- Tire repair or replacement (two per year)
Read more about this provider in our Endurance warranty review.
CARCHEX: 4.3 Stars
With more than 20 years in business, CARCHEX earned our review team’s Best for Used Cars award. CARCHEX is available in all 50 states and offers five levels of coverage that protect vehicles up to 10 years/500,000 miles. That’s longer than any plan from the other reputable extended car warranty companies we reviewed.
CARCHEX has a Trustpilot rating of 3.0 for its above-average handling of customer complaints. The company also holds an A+ BBB rating and accreditation from the organization.
Some of the additional perks CARCHEX offers include:
- Roadside assistance
- Rental car reimbursement
- Fuel delivery
Learn more about this provider in our CARCHEX warranty review.
Safe-Guard Auto Extended Warranty: FAQ
How We Rate Warranty Providers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of extended auto warranty providers. While there are multiple qualities that make a warranty company successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between providers because so many factors impact vehicle service contract pricing. To determine our cost score, we perform a secret shopper analysis for a variety of vehicles and plans and consider available deductibles.
- Coverage: Our team of experts looks at the number of extended warranty plans available, as well as term limits, exclusions, and added benefits like roadside assistance. Ratings also take into account the availability of maintenance coverage.
- Reputation: It’s important that an extended car warranty company is able to meet its claims obligations. Companies with a strong rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) score well in this category. Established providers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Customer Experience: We listen to real customer sales calls and comb through reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Warranty companies with a low volume of complaints score well in this area. We also consider the availability of mobile apps and chat features.
*Data accurate at time of publication.