Content on Jalopnik Advisor is commercial in nature and independent of Jalopnik Editorial and Advertising. Jalopnik Advisor content is free to consumers and always will be, however we and our partners may be compensated if you purchase a product or service through the links on this website.
If you’re searching for the top car hauling companies, you may find the number of choices overwhelming. Many carriers claim to be the best, but which vehicle shipping providers actually stand out from the competition?
In this article, we’ll highlight the top five car hauling companies and explain why they’re worth considering. Our team has thoroughly reviewed the best car shipping companies based on pricing, customer satisfaction, and shipping services to help you find the best option for your vehicle.
|Best Car Hauling Companies||Price Estimate|
|Montway Auto Transport||$879|
|Sherpa Auto Transport||$950|
|Easy Auto Ship||$875|
These five car hauling companies offer highly competitive rates, so you may see the order flipped depending on the details of each shipment. Find out which carrier is cheapest on your route by getting free instant quotes from each auto transport provider listed above.
Top 5 Car Hauling Companies
The best car hauling companies all combine high-quality service with impressive affordability, making them no-hassle choices for moving a vehicle. Even if a particular company stands out, it’s smart to get car shipping quotes online from other providers to find the option that best suits your needs.
Here are the top five car hauling companies in the United States:
|Best Car Hauling Companies||Overall Rating||Price Rating||Customer Experience Rating|
|Montway Auto Transport||4.6||4.3||4.6|
|Sherpa Auto Transport||4.5||4.6||4.6|
|Easy Auto Ship||4.5||3.8||4.6|
#1 Montway Auto Transport: Best Overall
Montway Auto Transport is a leader among car hauling companies due to its widespread availability, competitive pricing, and excellent reputation in the auto transport industry. Few auto transport companies have shipped as many cars as Montway–it has nearly two decades of experience.
Despite its relatively large size, Montway Auto Transport reviews mention that the company maintains a superb quality of service. This is reflected in the shipping provider’s A+ rating, accreditation, and average customer review score of 4.5 out of 5.0 stars on the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
#2 Sherpa Auto Transport: Best For Locked-In Rates
Sherpa Auto Transport is known for offering standout customer service, as seen by its impressive 4.9-star rating average from reviews on the BBB. While the auto transport company’s rates tend to be slightly higher than competitors’ prices, its Price Lock Promise guarantees that the price you’re quoted won’t increase mid-shipment. It’s common for car hauling companies to add fees during the process, so the Price Lock Promise often saves vehicle owners money.
The Clean Car Guarantee is also mentioned in Sherpa Auto Transport reviews. This benefit reimburses motorists up to $20 for a car wash. Between its streamlined shipping process and the peace of mind that comes with the Price Lock Promise, Sherpa Auto Transport deserves a look.
#3 AmeriFreight: Best For Discounts
AmeriFreight makes it easy to save money with price-matching guarantees and potential discounts. Of all the top car hauling companies, AmeriFreight offers the widest variety of savings. Below, we’ve listed some of the company’s most common discounts:
- Military members
- First responders and medical personnel
- Senior citizens
- Early birds (those who book within 48 hours of a quote)
- Return customers
- Multiple vehicles
While only the early bird discount can be combined with others, many drivers find it easy to reduce their rates, according to AmeriFreight reviews. Plus, the auto transport company will price match any car shipper with an A+ rating from the BBB and above-average customer reviews.
#4 Easy Auto Ship: Best Added Benefits
Low rates come standard with Easy Auto Ship, which offers guaranteed pricing on every order. It’s common for drivers to find cheap rates from the vehicle transporter, but this doesn’t mean Easy Auto Ship lowers its service standards.
Easy Auto Ship reviews are overwhelmingly positive, as seen by its 4.6-star customer review average and A+ rating from the BBB. You’ll receive discount prices on auto transport services with Easy Auto Ship, and the company offers premium benefits such as reimbursement for a car wash if your vehicle arrives dirty, a free rental car if your delivery takes more than two weeks, and guaranteed pricing.
#5 uShip: Best Shipping Marketplace
uShip doesn’t work the same way as the other best car hauling companies. Rather than an auto transport broker, uShip is an online marketplace where car carriers compete for shipping bids. According to uShip reviews, the increased competition helps keep prices low.
You’ll need to carefully vet all companies featured on the uShip marketplace, however. Not every car hauler on the site holds certification from the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT), and some shippers don’t offer cargo insurance. While the lowest prices might seem tempting, it’s important to size up your options to find both reputable and cheap car shipping companies.
Car Hauling Cost
The best way to find low car shipping costs is by comparing auto transport quotes from providers. To discover which companies offer the best rates on average, our team reached out to car hauling companies for quotes.
All quotes listed below are based on an open transport shipment of a 2018 Nissan Altima from Dallas to Milwaukee, a distance of 1,003 miles. These prices only relate to a certain shipment, so rates will vary across other routes and times of year.
What To Look For In The Best Car Hauling Companies
Car hauling companies regularly claim to be the best choice. If you’re searching for telltale signs of a superior auto transporter, look for the following factors:
- Pricing: If you’re paying more than $2 per mile, it may be time to reconsider your shipping order. Expect to spend between 50 cents and $2 per mile, with shorter routes having higher rates per mile.
- Customer service: Look for car hauling companies that can easily connect you with friendly representatives mid-shipment. The car shipping companies listed above all hold stellar reputations for customer service.
- Shipping choices: Do you want door-to-door service or terminal-to-terminal delivery? Consider expedited shipping if you’re rushing to get your car moved. Open carrier shipping is affordable, but owners of classic cars and luxury vehicles may prefer enclosed auto transport for increased protection.
- Availability: The best car hauling companies should be able to move various types of vehicles, from motorcycles to SUVs. Top auto shipping companies also cover cross-country and long-distance transport needs, whether for snowbirds shipping cars to Florida or those who need to ship a car to Hawaii or Alaska.
- Cargo insurance: Nearly all reputable vehicle shippers offer cargo insurance to protect your car during transport. If that’s not the case, you may want to reconsider your pick.
- Guaranteed pricing: Guaranteed pricing is a nice way to make sure your car shipment costs stay reasonable. Sherpa Auto Transport and Easy Auto Ship have guaranteed pricing, so your initial quote will remain the same throughout the shipment.
While even the best car hauling companies may not be able to fit every one of your preferences, it’s crucial to look for providers that are willing to work with you. Vehicles aren’t exactly cheap, so you’ll want to find a responsible and efficient auto transporter for peace of mind.
Car Hauling Providers: Conclusion
In this article, we reviewed the best car shipping companies in the country and provided several tips that will hopefully be helpful for those seeking a reliable auto shipping provider.
Below are some frequently asked questions about car hauling companies;
FAQ: Car Hauling Companies
How We Rate Auto Shippers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car shipping companies. While there are multiple qualities that make an auto transport provider successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between providers because so many factors impact auto shipping rates. To determine our cost score, we perform a secret shopper analysis for a variety of vehicles and routes.
- Services: Our team of experts looks at the types of services available, as well as insurance coverage and the ability to guarantee pickup and drop-off dates. Ratings also take into account whether the transport company is a broker or a carrier.
- Reputation: It’s important that a car shipping provider is able to deliver your vehicle in a safe and timely manner. Companies with a strong rating from the BBB score well in this category. Established providers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Customer Experience: We comb through consumer reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Car transport companies with a low volume of complaints score well in this area.
*Data accurate at time of publication.