AAA Extended Warranty Reviews
We give AAA a rating of 4.0 out of 5.0 stars. The national organization is reputable and known for providing excellent services and discounts for AAA members. AAA extended warranties also come with affordable rates with great benefits and perks.
While the vehicle service plans we’ve detailed offer comprehensive coverage, note that your options and pricing could change depending on your location. We recommend getting free quotes from extended warranty providers so you can compare all of your options. Read on to see which third-party providers ranked high in our best extended auto warranty review.
AAA Reviews BBB
Since AAA is a federation of individual member agencies, there isn’t one Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile for the national organization. Regional AAA locations have BBB pages with scores ranging from A+ to F.
We recommend looking at review sites to see the reputation of your local branch.
What Is AAA?
The American Automobile Association (AAA) was founded in 1902 as a coalition of motor clubs and has grown to 61 million members in the United States and Canada. It provides a wide array of services, which include:
- Automotive care
- Roadside assistance
- Car insurance
Since each motor club is an individual entity, plan and coverage options vary widely by region. This means AAA extended warranty options may look similar but will differ.
What Does AAA Extended Warranty Cover?
AAA is a federation of 32 regional member clubs that provide services to members in North America. Some membership benefits are the same across the national organization, though many offer club-specific services such as AAA extended warranty coverage.
Our research team discovered that not all member clubs offer vehicle service contracts. We were able to confirm that the following AAA branches offer extended warranty coverage:
- AAA Club Alliance
- AAA Northeast
Many of the AAA extended warranty options offered across the member clubs are similar in coverage and benefits, with the main differences being the plan’s name and the number of tiers.
AAA Club Alliance
The AAA Vehicle Protection Plan from AAA Club Alliance is only available to residents of these areas:
- AAA Blue Grass & Bluefield regions
- South Dakota
- Southern West Virginia
- Washington D.C.
- Parts of Connecticut, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia
What Is AAA Club Alliance?
AAA Club Alliance’s extended warranty plans include three levels of coverage: Silver, Gold, and Platinum. These warranties provide premium coverage for most vehicles and up to 15 years/150,000 miles of coverage to protect against unexpected repair costs.
The table below outlines the three warranty plans available through AAA Club Alliance:
All plans cover 100 percent of the diagnostics, labor, and parts costs for covered repairs on approved claims. You’ll have a deductible of $0 when using a AAA-owned auto repair facility or $50 when using a AAA-approved auto repair facility.
You can transfer your AAA extended warranty plan to another party when you sell your car. Fees and conditions may apply, so you should contact your local AAA member club for more information.
Additional Perks Of AAA Club Alliance Coverage
All AAA Club Alliance plans come with:
- No-cost payment plans: The AAA Club Alliance offers 0 percent financing on all plans for up to 24 months with 10 percent down.
- Rental car reimbursement: AAA members receive refunds for rental vehicle charges up to $175, not to exceed $35 per 24-hour period.
- Battery replacement: AAA Club Alliance offers a free one-time battery replacement.
- Emergency self-approval: AAA Club Alliance plans allow emergency self-approval up to $500.
AAA Northeast covers select counties in Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and New York. Each agency offers AAA extended warranty services, so we recommend contacting your local branch for coverage information.
AAA Northeast Benefits
The regional club says it offers extended coverage for all mechanical and electrical components after your original factory warranty expires. Program benefits include:
- $0 deductible plans
- Direct payment to repair facilities
- Rental vehicle assistance
- Licensed repair facilities throughout the U.S. and Canada
- Transferable coverage
AAA Extended Car Warranty Cost
To find out how much you’ll pay for a AAA extended warranty, you’ll need to contact your local AAA office. Factors that typically influence the cost of your coverage include your car, its mileage, and your selected coverage level.
Since AAA is divided into geographical regions for coverage, you might pay more for an extended warranty depending on where you live.
How AAA Extended Warranties Work
You should contact your region’s office to get a free quote for a AAA extended warranty. You can also speak with AAA member services to be directed to the office closest to you.
If your vehicle experiences an unexpected mechanical breakdown and requires repairs, AAA allows your vehicle to be serviced at any licensed repair facility in the U.S. and Canada. However, your deductible may be waived if repairs are completed at a AAA-approved or AAA-owned auto repair facility.
Once your car is at a repair shop, give the repair technician your AAA extended warranty plan information. The service facility will then contact AAA for car repair authorization once the problem has been diagnosed. AAA will pay the facility directly to cover the repair bill if it approves the needed repairs.
AAA Car Warranty: Conclusion
AAA extended warranty is a good option for those looking for a change. However, it is only available in some regions of the country, so you might have to look elsewhere for your extended warranty. We have a breakdown of some of AAA’s competitors below.
AAA Extended Warranty Competitors: Our Top Picks
While AAA offers solid extended warranty options, hundreds of other companies provide comprehensive warranty coverage. We recommend contacting Endurance and CARCHEX, which scored highly in our industry review.
Endurance: Best Coverage
Endurance is a reputable direct auto warranty provider with over 15 years of experience. The company offers five levels of coverage that can last up to 200,000 miles. These vehicle service contracts are available in 49 states, excluding California.
Learn more about the company in our Endurance warranty review.
CARCHEX: Best For Used Cars
CARCHEX has sold extended auto warranties for more than 16 years. The company offers five coverage levels, with terms lasting as long as 10 years or 250,000 miles. CARCHEX provides a wide range of deductible options, which allow for more plan customization to fit your budget.
Get more information about the provider in our CARCHEX warranty review.
AAA Extended Car Warranty: FAQ
Below are some frequently asked questions about AAA extended warranties
How We Rate Warranty Providers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of extended auto warranty providers. While there are multiple qualities that make a warranty company successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Reputation: It’s important that an extended car warranty company is able to meet its claims obligations. Companies with a strong rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) score well in this category. Established providers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Coverage: Our team of experts looks at the number of extended warranty plans available, as well as term limits, exclusions, and added benefits like roadside assistance. Ratings also take into account the availability of maintenance coverage.
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between providers because so many factors impact vehicle service contract pricing. To determine our cost score, we perform a secret shopper analysis for a variety of vehicles and plans and consider available deductibles.
- Transparency: Our team evaluates the availability and transparency of each company’s contracts, as well as whether each provider offers a money-back guarantee.
- Customer Experience: We listen to real customer sales calls and comb through reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Warranty companies with a low volume of complaints score well in this area. We also consider the availability of mobile apps and chat features.
*Data accurate at time of publication.