You’ve got a dizzying number of options when it comes to companies that can ship your car for you. But the Washington-based Auto Shipping Group (ASG) has a few features and offerings that make it stand out from the rest.
We wanted to see how Auto Shipping Group compared to the best car shipping companies in the United States, so we put the transport broker to the test. After taking a close look at the company’s rates, services, and reviews, this is what we discovered.
Auto Shipping Group Review
There is a lot to like about Auto Shipping Group. The company offers a service for just about anything. Its strong reputation with rating organizations and customers alike are major selling points as well.
Although the quote we got for our shipment was a little high, we feel comfortable recommending Auto Shipping Group as a transport broker. By most accounts, the company offers reliable, quality service for almost any shipping need.
4.8 out of 5.0
3.2 out of 5.0
4.8 out of 5.0
4.3 out of 5.0
4.2 out of 5.0
Is Auto Shipping Group Legit?
Yes, Auto Shipping Group is a legit car shipping provider. Auto Shipping Group has over 15 years experience in the shipping business, although not always under the ASG moniker. The company came together in its current incarnation when Magic Carpet Auto Transport, Cascade Vehicle Shipping, Domestic Auto Transport, and Red Carpet Auto Transport combined in 2012.
Based in Camas, Washington, the company is an auto transport broker that offers a diverse set of services. These include international shipping and alternative vehicle transport options. Its place in the industry is backed up by its A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and generally positive customer reviews.
Auto Shipping Group BBB
Auto Shipping Group is in excellent standing within the car shipping industry. The BBB gave the company an A+ rating and accreditation. This indicates that the company has had limited complaints and has been responsive to complaints they’ve received.
Customers also appear to share the BBB’s opinion. Auto Shipping Group has an exceptional 4.8 out of 5.0-star rating on the organization’s customer review section across more than 300 reviews. The company has a rating of 3.7 out of 5.0 stars from customers on Trustpilot, but with only one written review.
Positive Auto Shipping Group Reviews
Customers who report a positive experience with Auto Shipping Group tend to mention the company’s rates and the ease and reliability of the shipping process.
“Auto Shipping Group had a very reasonable price. They were able to dispatch a truck during the holidays. I had a limited shipping window and they and the driver were happy to work in that limited timeframe.”
– Alan via BBB
“Awesome. Easy to communicate and very flexible. No surprises. Will come back for any auto transport needs.”
– Soundararajan via BBB
Auto Shipping Group Complaints
There aren’t too many negative reviews for Auto Shipping Group. But the ones there are tend to have issues with individual carriers and the company’s handling of those issues.
“My vehicle was damaged on delivery and I am suing the carrier (not the broker) for damages done at the time of delivery…The agent I had was helpful in getting the insurance information and scheduling the vehicle, but I do not trust this company’s vetting of their carriers.”
– Melody via BBB
“Everyone is friendly and prompt when attempting to secure your business. However, when I wanted to report a claim I was not able to reach my point of contact, [agent], for four days.”
– Anthony via BBB
Auto Shipping Group Car Shipping Services
Auto Shipping Group has one of the most complete selections of auto transport services found in our research. The company allows you to ship almost any vehicle just about anywhere in the world. Here are some of the options you have with Auto Shipping Group:
- International shipping: Ship your vehicle to and from international destinations.
- Shipping to all 50 states: You can use ASG for shipping a car to Hawaii or Alaska, something not every provider offers.
- Open carrier shipping: You can usually save money by shipping your car in an open container.
- Enclosed container shipping: Although it costs more, shipping your car in an enclosed trailer protects it from road debris and harsh weather.
- Alternative vehicle shipping: The company allows you to ship a golf cart, motorcycle, RV, or just about any other motor vehicle.
- Military shipping: Auto Shipping Group offers service tailored to the needs of military members.
- Exotic and classic car shipping: If you need to ship antique automobiles or high-value exotic cars, you can.
- Fleet vehicle shipping: Ship all your company vehicles together with Auto Shipping Group.
Auto Shipping Group Shipping Cost
Auto Shipping Group doesn’t post its rates online, but that’s normal for a shipping brokerage. Car shipping rates are highly variable and depend mostly on the individual car carrier doing the transport service.
The company has a shipping quote widget on its homepage. We used the tool to request a quote for shipping an operable 2018 Subaru Impreza from Raleigh, North Carolina to Los Angeles–a distance of 2,540 miles–in an open container.
After submitting our personal information and the details of our car, we received an email reply within a minute. Auto Shipping Group quoted us $1,755, which is a little higher than industry averages, but still reasonable.
How Much Does It Cost To Ship A Car?
The average cost of a car shipment is around $1,200, according to our internal data. But there’s a big difference between the cost of a cross-country shipment and shipping a car one state over. Even though per-mile rates are much lower for long-distance shipments, you’ll still pay a lot more overall.
According to uShip, a marketplace that works with over 40,000 active carriers, these are the average per-mile rates for car shipping:
- Average cost per mile, under 200 miles: $2.92
- Average cost per mile, over 1,000 miles: $0.78
Car Shipping Cost Factors
Distance is the biggest factor in your car shipping cost, but it’s not the only one. Auto transport companies use variables to calculate their rates. Here are some of the main factors that influence your car shipping costs:
- Shipping time frame: If you want cheap car shipping, you’ll need to book in advance and be flexible about your dates.
- Shipping options: Whether you choose open transport or enclosed container shipping significantly affects your bill.
- Vehicle type: The bigger or more expensive your vehicle is, the more you’ll usually have to pay to ship it.
- Vehicle condition: Cars in drivable condition are cheaper to ship than ones that are inoperable.
- Time of year: Car shipping rates hit their peak in the summer. It’s usually cheaper to ship your car in the fall and early winter.
- Cost of fuel: Auto transport rates go up and down along with the price of fuel, which is one of the main costs for auto truckers.
Auto Shipping Group: Conclusion
We rated Auto Shipping Group 4.2 Stars and believe it could be the right auto transport provider for you. Their reputation and services make them a top level provider, but their prices can turn people away. Below are some of their competitors.
Auto Shipping Group: Top Competitors
We recommend getting a quote from Auto Shipping Group, but we also advise getting free car shipping quotes online from a few other providers. You’re much more likely to find the best rates for you if you compare multiple car shipping quotes. Based on our research, we recommend starting with these providers.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best For Locked-In Rates
The rates and service customers get at Sherpa Auto Transport were enough to place it among the best car shipping companies in our market-wide study. But Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise–which says the price you’re quoted is the price you pay–is its most valuable feature. We also liked its Clean Car Guarantee, which reimburses you up to $20 to get your car washed after your shipment.
The BBB gave Sherpa an A+ rating and the company is also accredited with the agency. Sherpa’s average rating of 4.9 stars from customers on the BBB website is among the highest scores we saw in our study.
Find out more about the company in our Sherpa Auto Transport review.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Overall
Montway Auto Transport is one of the industry’s top auto transporters. The company scored highest out of all providers in our study and earned the title of Best Overall for 2022. Montway’s score is based on its exceptional customer service, easy shipping process, and affordable rates.
Montway currently has an A+ rating and accreditation from the BBB. Customer ratings are similarly high, with an average rating of 4.5 stars in the customer review section of the BBB website.
Read our Montway Auto Transport review to learn more about the company.
Below are some frequently asked questions about Auto Shipping Group:
FAQ: Auto Shipping Group
How We Rate Auto Shippers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car shipping companies. While there are multiple qualities that make an auto transport provider successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between providers because so many factors impact auto shipping rates. To determine our cost score, we perform a secret shopper analysis for a variety of vehicles and routes.
- Services: Our team of experts looks at the types of services available, as well as insurance coverage and the ability to guarantee pickup and drop-off dates. Ratings also take into account whether the transport company is a broker or a carrier.
- Reputation: It’s important that a car shipping provider is able to deliver your vehicle in a safe and timely manner. Companies with a strong rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) score well in this category. Established providers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Customer Experience: We comb through consumer reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Car transport companies with a low volume of complaints score well in this area.
*Data accurate at time of publication.