Acceptance Insurance Review
High-risk drivers in need of nonstandard insurance policies may find that the benefits of an Acceptance car insurance plan are a good fit for their needs. For most others, another provider may be a better choice. From higher average costs to low claims satisfaction, Acceptance auto insurance may not offer the peace of mind of a stronger insurance company.
Acceptance Insurance Rating
Our team gives Acceptance car insurance 3.0 out of 5.0 stars due to mixed customer reviews, mediocre rates, and limited availability. The overall rating score for Acceptance insurance of 3.0 was aggregated using our four core metrics that our reviews team uses to evaluate insurance providers. We rated its performance through the four areas of cost, coverage, reliability, and service:
About First Acceptance Insurance
Parent company: First Acceptance Insurance Company
States available: Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia
AM Best financial strength rating: B
Insurance types: Auto, motorcycle, home, renters, life, travel, hospital indemnity
First Acceptance Insurance is a Nashville, Tennessee-based company offering plans to drivers often rejected by bigger-name providers. It offers auto insurance policies to drivers in 17 states and tends to provide a good value to high-risk drivers. Acceptance only holds a B rating from AM Best for financial strength, however, which means it may be less likely to be able to cover damages than some top providers.
Acceptance Car Insurance
Acceptance provides high-risk car insurance policies that are available in only 17 states. If you have poor credit or a poor driving record Acceptance has many coverage options that are offered through their 12 partners across the United States. Below we will go into more detail about Acceptance auto insurance coverage, cost, and discounts available with the company.
Acceptance Car Insurance Coverage
At Acceptance Insurance, all plans come standard with liability coverage. There’s also the option for additional coverages, such as personal injury protection and comprehensive insurance. Each state’s minimum insurance requirements vary, though it’s generally better to exceed these requirements and maintain more expansive coverage.
Acceptance auto insurance plans often specialize in covering high-risk drivers, so those with spotty records may find it to be a compelling option. The company has specific resources for those with bad credit, motorists who need nonstandard or high-risk plans, drivers with court-ordered SR-22 insurance, and teen drivers.
While Acceptance auto insurance may not have the cheapest car insurance rates, coverage for these high-risk groups is difficult to come by. That makes Acceptance stand out for certain customers, though they can expect to pay higher-than-average prices.
Acceptance Car Insurance Cost
While Acceptance car insurance is far from the cheapest option around, it provides strong value for high-risk drivers. There are countless nonstandard Acceptance auto insurance policies that cover those who would likely be rejected by other providers.
Nonstandard car insurance generally comes at a steep rate, so don’t expect a discounted Acceptance auto insurance plan. However, the accessibility of the provider’s plans to high-risk drivers is a benefit worth the cost to many customers. If you’ve already been rejected by industry leaders before, Acceptance auto insurance may be a good option.
No matter your provider, certain factors have a significant impact on how much car insurance is. Some of the greatest indicators can be found below:
- Location: Average premiums vary by state due to different car insurance standards, crime statistics, and rates of uninsured drivers. Generally speaking, urban drivers will pay higher rates than those who live in the countryside.
- Age and gender: Young male drivers tend to have higher average car insurance rates. Costs usually come down as motorists get older and gain more experience.
- Marital status: Married drivers account for fewer accidents than single drivers, so they often receive lower prices.
- Credit score: The lower your credit score, the higher your automobile insurance rate will likely be.
- Driving history: If you have a history of car accidents or DUIs, expect to pay significantly higher car insurance premiums than most. Acceptance auto insurance specializes in drivers with poor driving histories, so you’ll likely still get coverage.
- Vehicle type: If your car is new, commonly targeted for car break-ins, or rated negatively for safety, expect to pay more for car insurance.
Acceptance Car Insurance Discounts
While Acceptance car insurance discounts can be difficult to find on the company’s website, we found savings opportunities for safe drivers, students with good grades, and loyal customers. Make sure to ask your local insurance agent if extra discounts are available before purchasing a plan. An excellent way to save on Acceptance auto insurance is by bundling homeowners insurance with your auto insurance policy. Your rate will be lower if these two plans are covered by the same provider.
Acceptance Insurance Reviews
Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating: A+
BBB complaints in last three years: 83
Acceptance Insurance has received mixed reviews from customers about their services. While the company has a 1.1-star average score out of 5 from just over 20 customers on the BBB website, nearly 500 customers give Acceptance auto insurance an average of 4.3 stars out of 5.0 on Google Reviews.
Here are a few positive and negative opinions about Acceptance Insurance from recent policyholders:
Positive Acceptance Insurance Reviews
Satisfied Acceptance auto insurance customers often praise the company’s pleasant customer service representatives and often competitive pricing for high-risk drivers.
“Every experience I’ve had since I joined has been extremely pleasant. Every agent I’ve spoken with so far was really kind, patient, and helpful.”
– Saundra M. via Google Reviews
“Great, quick customer support. Representative was awesome and answered all my questions promptly. Their prices are also not bad for a 20 year old.”
– James D. via Google Reviews
Negative Acceptance Insurance Reviews
Acceptance insurance receives dozens of negative reviews about claims after an accident.
“Their client was at fault in a wreck. They will not call me back or return my requests for information as to repairs of my vehicle. I have left messages and emails and no one will help me.”
– Markeita S. via BBB
“Just terrible customer service. They don’t respond back to customers. Claim adjusters do not return calls. Customer service agents are rude. It’s like they are doing someone a favor.”
– Rachel K. via Google Reviews
Acceptance Insurance: Other Coverage Options
Other than car insurance Acceptance offers many other coverage policies through its third-party partners which include:
- Homeowners Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Commercial Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance
- Travel Insurance
Acceptance Auto Insurance Reviews: Conclusion
If you’ve been rejected by multiple providers, Acceptance auto insurance might be a good choice for you. Otherwise, you can expect higher rates and mixed customer service experiences when you take out an Acceptance car insurance policy. Many providers offer higher customer service standards than Acceptance at cheaper average rates. It’s best to get car insurance quotes from multiple providers to compare the cost and coverage options available to you.
Acceptance Car Insurance Compeititors: Top Picks
While Acceptance may offer many car insurance options for high-risk drivers competitors outperform their services. We’ve reviewed the best car insurance companies and have found that Progressive and State Farm provide better coverage, prices, and benefits to high-risk customers.
Progressive: Best Usage-Based Insurance
In our Progressive insurance review, the auto insurer stood out as the top choice for high-risk drivers. While many providers reject people with somewhat questionable driving records, Progressive takes them on and offers great coverage. The company also holds an A+ rating from AM Best for financial strength, so you can trust in its ability to reliably pay out claims.
Usage-based insurance is a method Progressive uses to keep costs low for customers. Through its Snapshot program, the provider charges based on how often people use their cars instead of setting a flat monthly rate. This can keep prices low for customers–even for those with a poor driving history.
State Farm: Best For Student Drivers
Like it or not, students are high-risk drivers and pay the price when it comes to coverage costs. While rates are never cheap for young motorists, State Farm provides students with quality plans at relatively affordable prices.
In our State Farm insurance review, we found a long list of available discounts. Students in particular can take advantage of the following savings:
- Accident-free discount
- Defensive driving course discount
- Good student discount
- Good driving discount
- Driver training discount
- Student away at school discount
From an above-average customer satisfaction score in the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM to an A++ rating for financial health from AM Best, State Farm provides exceptional value to its customers, no matter their age.
How We Rate Insurers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car insurance providers. While there are multiple qualities that make a car insurance company successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between insurers because so many factors impact annual premiums. The cheapest insurer for one driver may not be the cheapest for another. To determine our cost score, we look at insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services, discount opportunities, and consumer reports.
- Coverage: To determine our coverage score, we look at the number of coverage options available as well as coverage limits and deductible options. Our ratings also take into account additional services and benefits like roadside assistance.
- Reliability: It’s important that an auto insurer is able to meet its claims obligations. Companies with a strong financial strength rating from AM Best score best in this category. Established insurers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Service: We comb through customer reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Insurers with a low volume of complaints score well in this area. We also consider the claims process, giving higher ratings to car insurance providers that offer easy-to-use claims apps.
*Data accurate at time of publication.