Content on Jalopnik Advisor is commercial in nature and independent of Jalopnik Editorial and Advertising. Jalopnik Advisor content is free to consumers and always will be, however we and our partners may be compensated if you purchase a product or service through the links on this website.
American Connection Auto Transport Pros And Cons
As the vehicle transport industry continues to grow, more companies are entering the market and looking for ways to differentiate themselves from the competition. American Connection Auto Transport does so by promising to ship just about anything to a variety of national and international destinations.
Our team wanted to see if American Connection lives up to its promises and whether it’s a smart choice for auto transport. While the company offers a wide range of shipping services, its industry and customer ratings are likely cause for concern. We take a deep dive into American Connection to see how it compares to the best car shipping companies.
American Connection Auto Transport LLC Reviews: 2.6 Stars
American Connection Auto Transport offers a wide range of shipping services within the country and internationally, and it provides full insurance on all shipments. Beyond that, there’s not much to love about the company.
The auto shipper’s F rating from the BBB is concerning. Combined with low ratings and serious complaints from customers, it’s a big red flag. Based on what our review team saw in our research, there is little to inspire trust in American Connection Auto Transport.
American Connection Auto Transport Overview
Based in San Francisco, American Connection Auto Transport is a recent entry into the vehicle moving market, beginning service in 2020. The broker positions itself as a logistics provider as well as a car shipper. Its website mentions shipping options for everything from cars to industrial machinery, and it offers services to and from domestic and international destinations.
American Connection Auto Transport Shipping Cost
American Connection Auto Transport doesn’t post its rates online, which is standard for a car shipping broker. However, unlike many other auto transport companies, it also doesn’t have a quote tool or calculator on its website to give you an idea of what you might pay. The only way to get a quote from American Connection Auto Transport is to call the company.
Average Car Shipping Cost
Our research revealed that the average car shipping cost is around $1,200 per shipment. However, there’s a significant cost difference between shipping your car one state over and shipping it cross country. Here are some average costs per mile according to uShip, a marketplace that works with over 40,000 active carriers:
- Average cost per mile under 200 miles: $2.92
- Average cost per mile over 1,000 miles: 78 cents
American Connection Auto Transport Cost Factors
Auto transport companies use several factors in addition to shipping distance to calculate your car shipping costs. Some of the main variables that influence shipping rates include:
- Shipping service options: For instance, door-to-door shipping costs more than terminal-to-terminal shipping, and shipping by open carrier is more expensive than shipping in an enclosed carrier.
- Vehicle type: Bigger vehicles like SUVs cost more to ship than sedans and other smaller vehicles. Shipping specialty vehicles like ATVs and motorcycles or exotic and classic cars can cost more as well.
- Vehicle condition: You’ll need to pay more to ship your vehicle if it’s inoperable.
- Time of year: Shipping demand is at its peak in the summer, making auto transport more expensive on average. Late fall and early winter are generally the best times to find cheap car shipping.
- Cost of fuel: Shipping prices tend to go up and down with the price of fuel.
American Connection Auto Transport Car Shipping Services
American Connection Auto Transport has a lot to offer when it comes to transport services. Some of the services you can find with the shipping broker include:
- International shipping: In addition to cross-country shipping within the United States, American Connection can help you with shipping a car internationally.
- Open container shipping: Shipping your vehicle via open transport can save you money on your shipping costs, though it leaves your car exposed to road debris and the elements.
- Enclosed trailer shipping: You can pay extra to ship your car in an enclosed container to keep it safe from road hazards and inclement weather.
- Exotic car shipping: If you need to ship a rare vehicle like a classic car or luxury import, you can pay more for extra care and protection.
- Alternative vehicle shipping: You can ship motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, boats, and other motor vehicles with American Connection.
- Heavy machinery shipping: The company has options for shipping farm equipment and other heavy machinery internationally and domestically.
American Connection Auto Transport Insurance
American Connection Auto Transport requires the carriers it works with to carry a minimum of $150,000 of insurance coverage. Because of this, the company guarantees your shipment will be fully insured.
American Connection Auto Transport Customer Reviews
Unfortunately, American Connection Auto Transport doesn’t have a positive reputation within the industry. The company holds an F rating from the BBB due to its failure to respond to multiple customer complaints. For people looking for a reliable auto shipper, that’s not a good sign.
Customers on the BBB website give the company a low average rating of 1.0 out of 5.0 stars, with no customer rating it above 1 star. However, it’s important to note that this is from only five reviews and the company has only been registered with the BBB since 2020. This isn’t a large sample size of customer reviews, but it’s still concerning.
The issues mentioned in customer complaints were rather serious. Multiple customers report poor experiences with the company’s representatives, and some even accuse American Connection of taking their deposits and not delivering service.
“As they failed to honor the contract and refused to make the refund, I had no choice but to dispute the charge with my credit card and hire a different company.”
– Dennis via BBB
“American Connection Auto Transport was unprofessional and difficult to communicate with. Although I was promised a flat rate for my vehicle transport ($450), from the moment I signed their documentation they were trying to raise prices and take my money.”
– Julie via BBB
American Connection Auto Transport LLC: Conclusion
We rate American Connection Auto Transport 2.6 Stars. See some alternative providers below:
Best Car Shipping Companies
While American Connection Auto Transport may not be the best choice for your next move, there are several reputable companies we recommend. It’s a good idea to get free quotes from providers so you can compare. Montway Auto Transport and AmeriFreight are two good options to begin your search.
Montway Auto Transport: 4.6 Stars
In our review of the best car shipping companies in 2022, Montway Auto Transport came out on top as our Best Overall pick. The company offers a winning combination of affordable pricing, excellent customer service, and a stress-free shipping process.
Customer reviews on the BBB give Montway an average star rating of 4.5 out of 5.0. The company also holds an A+ rating and accreditation from the BBB.
Check out our in-depth Montway Auto Transport review to learn more about the company.
AmeriFreight: 4.5 Stars
If saving money on your shipment is a top priority, make sure to check out AmeriFreight. In our review of the best car shipping companies, AmeriFreight earned the award for Best Discounts. The company offers the most discount opportunities compared to competitors, including an early-bird booking discount, a military discount, and a senior citizen discount.
AmeriFreight is well-reviewed by ratings agencies and customers alike. The company has an A+ rating and accreditation from the BBB. More than 1,1000 customers on the site give AmeriFreight an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.0 stars, a testament to the company’s customer service.
For a more in-depth look at the company, read our full AmeriFreight review.
How We Rate Auto Shippers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car shipping companies. While there are multiple qualities that make an auto transport provider successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between providers because so many factors impact auto shipping rates. To determine our cost score, we perform a secret shopper analysis for a variety of vehicles and routes.
- Services: Our team of experts looks at the types of services available, as well as insurance coverage and the ability to guarantee pickup and drop-off dates. Ratings also take into account whether the transport company is a broker or a carrier.
- Reputation: It’s important that a car shipping provider is able to deliver your vehicle in a safe and timely manner. Companies with a strong rating from the BBB score well in this category. Established providers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Customer Experience: We comb through consumer reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Car transport companies with a low volume of complaints score well in this area.
*Data accurate at time of publication.