Pros And Cons
American Auto Shipping
The Bottom Line
A fixture in the car shipping business for over 22 years, American Auto Shipping offers multiple levels of service to fit the needs of most customers. In this review, we’ll explain the auto transport broker’s services and typical shipping costs.
We’ll also recommend other providers from our review of the best car shipping companies in the nation to give you alternatives if American Auto Shipping isn’t the right option for you.
American Auto Shipping Overview
Founded in 1999, American Auto Shipping has built trust with customers over the years by providing excellent car shipping experiences. The company holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which showcases its solid auto transport services and its communication with customers. The company has only received 18 complaints in the last three years, which is a small number for a company of its size.
American Auto Shipping Cost
According to American Auto Shipping’s website, the average cost to ship a car 550 miles by open carrier transport is $550. However, shipping costs vary depending on factors such as pickup and drop-off locations, the time of year, and the type of car being shipped.
To give you a more accurate idea, here are some free quotes we collected for an operable 2018 Hyundai Elantra with door-to-door shipping.
|Route||Distance||Carrier Type||Estimated Cost|
|Charlotte, N.C., to Cleveland||515 miles||Open||$659|
|Rapid City, S.D., to Atlanta||1,504 miles||Open||$1,439|
|Rapid City, S.D., to Atlanta||1,504 miles||Enclosed||$1,859|
|Washington, D.C., to Seattle||2,761 miles||Open||$1,799|
Factors That Affect Auto Shipping Costs
A number of things affect prices with auto shipping companies, including the following:
- Distance: Longer distances have lower rates per mile but are typically more expensive overall.
- Pickup and drop-off locations: Shipping to rural locations often costs more because they’re farther from major highways.
- Transportation type: Open transport is usually several hundred dollars less than enclosed shipping, which protects your vehicle more.
- Shipping services: Having your car shipped to your address costs more than having it shipped to a terminal because it’s more of a hassle for carriers.
- Lead time: Booking far in advance is the best way to get good prices. Carriers are less available immediately, so expedited shipping is always more expensive.
- Season: Many people move in January and during the summer, so those are the busiest (and most expensive) times of year for shipping.
- Fuel costs: If the cost of gas is higher, expect shipping rates to be higher as well.
American Auto Shipping Services
American Auto Shipping offers several auto transport services to get your vehicle to its destination quickly and safely. Here are some of them:
|Door-to-door shipping||The carrier picks your vehicle up and drops it off as close to your address as possible.|
|Open auto transport||Your vehicle is shipped on an open trailer, often with seven to nine other cars. It’s the cheapest shipping option.|
|Enclosed auto transport||Your car is shipped on an enclosed carrier, so it’s better protected from road debris and severe weather. Enclosed transport is a good option for expensive luxury vehicles or classic cars.|
|Cross-country shipping||American Auto Shipping can send your car anywhere in the continental U.S.|
|Hawaii shipping||Your car can be transported to or from Hawaii on a cargo ship.|
|Railway transport||American Auto Shipping may be able to ship your car on a train.|
|Motorcycle shipping||American Auto Shipping transports motorcycles anywhere in the U.S.|
|Military vehicle shipping||The company transports military vehicles like Humvees and Jeeps. Active-duty military members and veterans get discounts for any vehicles they ship.|
|Heavy equipment transport||Ship anything from smaller construction equipment to large farming vehicles.|
American Auto Shipping Reviews
Overall, American Auto Shipping delivers a high-quality customer service experience. Customers are mostly satisfied with the company, as demonstrated by its average rating of 4.7 on the BBB site and 3.8 out of 5.0 stars on Trustpilot.
Most positive reviews mention American Auto Shipping’s fast response time and great communication between drivers and customers.
“American Auto Shipping picked up and delivered my car as promised. Everything went smoothly, and [I] had good communication with the drivers. I highly recommend American Auto Shipping!”
– Sara F. via BBB
“[The] response was super fast, [and I got a] competitive price and friendly driver. I have moved a car several times before, and the service with American Auto Shipping was the best by a margin.”
– Thomas S. via BBB
Most negative customer reviews for American Auto Shipping talk about the company’s failure to deliver in a timely manner or on the desired delivery date with priority shipping. Some customers also describe their frustration with the customer service department.
“My order was placed … June 27 for a one- to five-day pickup. Fast forward [to] July 11 [and] my vehicle is still here waiting. [I’ve] made multiple calls to check in on the status and always get told ‘when my order is dispatched to a driver, they’ll contact me and I’ll get an email.’”
– Ericka L. via BBB
“I’ve been forced to cancel my auto shipment at this point after 14 days of waiting for my vehicle to be picked up. … My calls consistently went to voicemail during business hours, I received no call backs or updates from the company, and they did nothing to reduce my costs.”
– Robert H. via BBB
Bottom Line On American Auto Shipping: 4.5 Stars
According to our industry-wide review, American Auto Shipping is one of the country’s best auto transport companies. While prices may be expensive depending on where your vehicle is headed, the company has built a strong reputation for delivering excellent car shipping services to its customers.
Top Recommendations For Car Shipping
While American Auto Shipping is one of the best auto transport companies in the industry, there are others that deliver high-quality vehicle transport services.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Overall
Montway Auto Transport has 16 years of car shipping experience and has moved more than 747,000 vehicles. The auto shipping broker has a 4.6-star rating on Trustpilot, which shows its commitment to its customers. In addition to shipping to all 50 states, Montway provides tracking updates via live chat so customers can check their shipments’ progress during transport.
Read more: Montway Auto Transport review
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best For Locked-In Rates
Sherpa Auto Transport’s dedication to customer service is reflected with its Price Lock Promise, which says the price the company quotes you is the price you’ll pay. Sherpa also provides its Clean Car Guarantee, which reimburses each customer up to $20 for a car wash after their shipment arrives. These perks have helped the car shipping broker earn a near-perfect 4.9-star average rating with customers on the BBB’s site.
Read more: Sherpa Auto Transport review
American Auto Shipping: FAQ
How We Rate Auto Shippers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car shipping companies. While there are multiple qualities that make an auto transport provider successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between providers because so many factors impact auto shipping rates. To determine our cost score, we perform a secret shopper analysis for a variety of vehicles and routes.
- Services: Our team of experts looks at the types of services available, as well as insurance coverage and the ability to guarantee pickup and drop-off dates. Ratings also take into account whether the transport company is a broker or a carrier.
- Reputation: It’s important that a car shipping provider is able to deliver your vehicle in a safe and timely manner. Companies with a strong rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) score well in this category. Established providers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Customer Experience: We comb through consumer reviews on sites like the BBB to learn about customer experiences. Car transport companies with a low volume of complaints score well in this area.
*Data accurate at time of publication.