21st Century Insurance Pros And Cons
The Bottom Line
About 21st Century Insurance
Parent company: Farmers Insurance Group
States available: California
AM Best financial strength rating: A
Insurance types: Auto
For more than 60 years, 21st Century has been providing insurance products to California residents. The company is part of the Farmers Insurance Group, giving it the backing of a large nationwide insurer. The insurer holds positive industry ratings from both the BBB and AM Best.
21st Century Car Insurance Cost And Discounts
While it may not be the cheapest car insurance in the state, 21st Century tends to provide affordable rates for California drivers. This is especially helpful in a state with above-average auto insurance rates. California residents pay an average of $2,089 per year, or $174 per month, for full coverage policies. This is about 21 percent more expensive than the national average of $1,730 annually.
Regardless of which insurance company you choose, several factors determine how much car insurance is. The following can impact your insurance rates:
- Location: How much you pay for car insurance varies by not only state, but also ZIP code. Those who live in urban areas typically pay higher premiums than those in rural areas.
- Age: Teen and young drivers tend to pay the highest rates for auto insurance coverage due to their lack of experience.
- Marital status: Married drivers tend to get into fewer accidents, so they pay less for coverage on average.
- Driving history: Having a recent speeding ticket, accident, or DUI on your driving record will increase your car insurance rates.
- Vehicle type and age: Auto insurance companies take safety ratings, theft data, and more into consideration when determining your rates.
Several 21st Century car insurance discounts can help drivers find even more affordable premiums. The company’s discounts include:
- Good Driver discount: Drivers with no tickets or accidents in the last three years are eligible for a discount.
- Superior Driver discount: Safe drivers with no tickets or accidents in the past four or five years may be eligible for this discount.
- Good Student discount: Students who maintain a grade of “B” or better and are under the age of 25 may be eligible for a discount.
- Mature Driver discount: Drivers 55 years or older are eligible for this discount once they complete a state-recognized defensive driving course.
- Multi Car discount: Drivers with multiple cars under the same auto insurance policy are eligible for a discount.
- Anti-Theft discount: Drivers with up-to-date anti-theft devices can save on their policies.
21st Century Auto Insurance Coverage
Customers can get the six standard coverage options below through 21st Century Insurance.
|Liability||Bodily injury (BI) liability insurance covers the medical expenses for other drivers and their passengers after an accident where you are at fault. Property damage (PD) liability insurance pays for damages to other drivers’ vehicles after an accident where you are at fault.|
|Collision||Collision insurance pays for damages that occur while your car is moving, either with another vehicle or a road hazard, or if you flip your vehicle.|
|Comprehensive||Comprehensive insurance pays for damages to your vehicle that are caused by animals or natural disasters. It also pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it’s stolen or vandalized.|
|Medical Payments||Medical payments (MedPay) covers medical bills for you and your passengers after an accident.|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist||Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage pays for damages to your vehicle if you’re hit by another driver who doesn’t have insurance or does not have enough insurance to fully pay for the cost of damages.|
Additional 21st Century Insurance Coverage Options
The insurer only offers two additional coverage options: rental reimbursement and roadside assistance.
|Rental Reimbursement||Rental reimbursement covers $30 per day for up to 30 days ($900 maximum) for drivers who have been in a covered accident. Limits of up to $50 per day for up to 30 days ($1,500 maximum) are also available.|
|Roadside Assistance||Roadside assistance provides towing, lockout service, and more 24 hours a day. This benefit is included with all auto policies. Those who are AAA and OnStar customers don’t receive this benefit.|
21st Century Insurance Mobile App
Like most auto insurers, 21st Century offers a mobile app with the following features:
- Pay bills
- Access your virtual ID card
- View your policy information
- Call roadside assistance
Some 21st Century Insurance reviews indicate that the app can be difficult to use, with many citing technical issues as the main problem. The 21st Century app holds a 2.3-star rating out of 5.0 on the App Store and a 3.8-star rating out of 5.0 on Google Play.
21st Century Insurance Reviews
BBB rating: A+
BBB complaints in last three years: 25
There are few 21st Century reviews from customers online. Negative reviews, like the example below, tend to focus on communication issues with customer service representatives and problems with payments.
“I emailed their customer support to let them know there was an issue with their site and received an email back that they are not aware of any issue. … So what happens if I have a claim? Do they tell me that they are not aware of any issue with my car? Their customer service is horrible.”
– Chris G. via BBB
Bottom Line On 21st Century Insurance: 3.3 Stars
Based on our research, we rate 21st Century 3.3 out of 5.0 stars, putting it below many of its competitors. While it can be a good, affordable choice for coverage, there are better options available for most drivers. The insurer offers a limited number of coverage options, has lower customer satisfaction ratings, and is only available in California.
Other Recommendations For Car Insurance
When you’re searching for auto coverage, we recommend getting car insurance quotes from providers to compare your options. To get started, check out State Farm and Geico, which are both featured in our list of the best car insurance companies.
State Farm: Best For Student Drivers
State Farm is the nation’s largest auto insurance provider, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and it’s a top-rated insurance company. Our team gave it 4.6 out of 5.0 stars due to its reliability, claims service ratings, and low average costs.
Based on our research, State Farm offers some of the lowest auto insurance rates on average. It can also be a smart and affordable choice for students and teens in particular due to its student discounts and Steer Clear® program for young drivers.
Read our State Farm insurance review for more information.
Geico: Best Overall Provider
As the second-largest auto insurance provider in the United States, Geico is known nationwide for its low rates and great service. We named it Best Overall Provider and gave it 4.6 out of 5.0 stars due to its exceptional reliability, affordable coverage, and claims service ratings.
Geico offers some of the lowest rates for many types of drivers, with an average annual cost estimate of $1,308 per year for full coverage. The company is also very strong financially, with an AM Best rating of A++, highlighting its reliability when it comes to paying out claims.
To learn more about the provider, check out our Geico insurance review.
Frequently Asked Questions
How We Rate Insurers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car insurance providers. While there are multiple qualities that make a car insurance company successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between insurers because so many factors impact annual premiums. The cheapest insurer for one driver may not be the cheapest for another. To determine our cost score, we look at insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services, discount opportunities, and consumer reports.
- Coverage: To determine our coverage score, we look at the number of coverage options available as well as coverage limits and deductible options. Our ratings also take into account additional services and benefits like roadside assistance.
- Reliability: It’s important that an auto insurer is able to meet its claims obligations. Companies with a strong financial strength rating from AM Best score best in this category. Established insurers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Service: We comb through customer reviews on sites like the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to learn about customer experiences. Insurers with a low volume of complaints score well in this area. We also consider the claims process, giving higher ratings to car insurance providers that offer easy-to-use claims apps.
*Data accurate at time of publication.