Say konichiwa to the new Subaru Impreza, JDM stylee. As expected, the Japan-only S-GT (bye, bye WRX) gets a 2.0-liter turbocharged boxer four. It produces 26 more horses than the US-spec 2.5-liter four. That's a total of 250 hp at 6,000 rpm. Click on for the whole spiel.
Fuji Heavy Industries Introduces All-New Subaru Impreza
Tokyo, June 5, 2007 - Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced the introduction of its new-generation Subaru Impreza series in Japan. The all-new Impreza went on sale nationwide through Subaru dealerships today.
Developed around the concept of new and more refined designs for comfort plus performance, the third-generation Impreza features streamlined "5-door packaging", while it offers a rewarding and safe ride enhanced by Subaru Symmetrical AWD (All-Wheel Drive) with the Horizontally-Opposed engine and the newly developed chassis. The all-new Impreza intends to be a new global car that incorporates three core values: sophisticated styling; useful and convenient packaging; and a rewarding and trustworthy ride.
The new Impreza has been developed under the theme, "Providing a fascinating Subaru distinctive value." In accordance with Subaru's philosophy, the core mechanism of Subaru Symmetrical AWD (All-Wheel Drive) with a Boxer engine continues to provide an enjoyable ride with fun to drive handling for the driver, as it integrates performance with advanced safety and environmental considerations.
Since its debut in 1992, the Impreza has earned worldwide popularity for its agile and sporty performance, compactness, convenience, and utility.
[Impreza is a coined word, deriving from an Italian word, impresa, meaning an emblem or aphorism. The car has upheld the badge, or image, of a sporty, young and agile car based on Subaru core technologies. Impreza is also associated with impression and FHI wants this car to project a strong and fresh impression.]
Impreza's Development Philosophy
Three key words were selected to develop the new Impreza, based on the concept of new and more refined designs for comfort. While advancing a sporty, safe and reliable drive that the Impreza series have consistently delivered, FHI has pursued to incorporate much higher levels of comfort and quality in the new model than any in its category offers.
• Sporty - achieving sophisticated design with its individual look, as well as an enjoyable ride with easy handling for the driver
• Casual - providing a stress-free comfortable ride under any driving conditions, as well as convenient and easy-to-use features
• Compact - securing ample, comfortable interior space in a compact body through streamlined packaging
• The Impreza 15S is the basic model built for handling and performance in harmony with fuel efficiency and environmental considerations.
• The Impreza 20S is the standard model featured more powerful engine performance, while providing outstanding stability supported by Symmetrical AWD.
• The Impreza S-GT is the Grand Touring model, offering a sporty drive with powerful turbo-charged engine performance.
• By shortening the rear overhang, a streamlined flowing form is obtained while roominess is also secured through the vehicle's extended height, width and wheelbase.
• The all-new double-wishbone rear suspension makes room for a wider and deeper luggage compartment, improving the utility of the car. The wide and flat load floor can accommodate two Tour size golf bags or five carry-on bags.
• The driver's seat lifter and tilt steering that allow flexible adjustments for drivers are equipped as standard on all models. Telescopic steering is also equipped on the S-GT model while an option on the 15S and 20S models.
• The height of the front wipers is lowered to achieve better visibility over the front hood for the driver.
• Rear quarter glasses and rear gate glass shape is designed for the better, safety visibility.
• Larger door openings afford improved ingress and egress, and the rear doors open 75 degrees to allow for better rear seat access.
a) Exterior design
• A flowing line from the tip of the front hood through the rear window, as well as the short rear overhang, highlight the agility of the car.
• Sweeping character lines on both sides and well calculated panel curves reflect light and shadow in harmony.
• Impreza's sporty image is stressed in all models by projected front fenders and rear quarters; standard roof-mounted spoilers that house LED brake lights; and LED rear combination lamps that comprise brake lights, directional lights and back lights.
• The 3-dimensional design of the projector headlamps expresses functionality.
• Nine exterior colors are available.
b) Interior design
• Aluminum-look insets in the center panels through door trim add a sporty feel and airiness to the car.
• The vehicle information display, which constantly shows outside temperature, average mileage and time on the digital clock, as well as a navigation screen and audio display, are placed nearer the top of the dashboard for improved visibility and functionality.
• New urethane materials are used in the front seat cushions to better absorb vibrations during a ride. The driver's seat incorporates newly developed seatback springs that support the driver's back and hips to help maintain a comfortable driving position.
• When the ignition key is turned on, the needles of three meters in the instrument panel swing up to their maximums and quickly fall back to their original positions - A Subaru tradition that - gives a boost of excitement for the driver starting the car. The instrumental panel also comes with an Info-Eco Indicator that lights up when running on low fuel consumption to encourage mileage-conscious driving.
• Two interior colors are offered on the 15S and 20S models: an ivory tone that accentuates openness and light; and off-black, which highlights both sportiness and elegance.
a) 1.5-liter DOHC engine (15S) and 2.0-liter SOHC engine (20S)
• The equal length/constant pulsation independent exhaust system substantially elevates exhaust efficiency through reduced interference between cylinders, which helps deliver optimal torque in various ranges of speed.
• The Active Valve Control System (AVCS) hydraulically controls timing in the intake valves and helps to increase combustion efficiency and improve low-end torque on the 15S.
• Various parts of engine employs friction-reducing technologies, including lowered load in the valve springs, mirror-surface machining, and molybdenum coating