All right ladies and gentlemen, we're hoping you're adequately prepared to rock, because you've only got another day to enter our playlist contest. A Benz. Fifteen songs that go with said Benz. Any Benz you want. Playin' requests now from the bandstand. El Jalopnik combo; makes fifteen dollars a night. Weddings, parties, anything. And bongo jazz a speciality. Rules here. Prizes from Gearhead Records. Winners announced Thursday.
Our man Scott busts out with the double Merc action, giving us a 190E 2.3-16 and a 300 SLR.
1) The The "This is The Day"
2) English Beat "Mirror in the Bathroom"
3) Frank Zappa "Peaches en Regalia"
4) XTC "Mayor of Simpleton"
5) Beastie Boys "Rhymin & Stealin"
6) Furious 5 "Superrappin"
7) Traffic "Light up or Leave Me Alone"
8) Suicide "Dream Baby Dream"
9) "Dallas" TV Theme Song
10) The Deftones "Be Quiet & Drive"
11) Kraftwerk "Klingklang"
12) Chicago "I'm a Man" (the car is simply too white for the Spencer
13) Psychedelic Furs "The Ghost in You"
14) Duran Duran "Rio"
15) Robert Palmer "Sailing Shoes"/"Hey Julia"/"Sneaking Sally Through the Alley" Medley
1. Bobby Darin "Beyond the Sea"
2. Adriano Celentano "Tu Vuo Fa Americano "
3. Henry Mancini "Pink Panther Theme"
4. Harry Connick Jr "It Had to Be You"
5. Frank Sinatra "It Had to Be You"
6. Muddy Waters "She Moves Me"
7. Miles & Coltrane "Straight, No Chaser"
8. Leo Kottke "Red & White"
9. Little Charlie & the Nightcats "Eyes Like a Cat"
10. Lou Rawls "Girl From Ipanema"
11. Duke Ellington "Take the A Train" (version w/ Etta James)
12. Fats Waller "The Shiek Of Araby"
13. Benny Goodman "Flat Foot Floogee"
14. Count Basie/Tony Bennett "With Plenty Of Money And You"
15. Nina Simone "Sinnerman"
Wow, Scott. Both of these are fine, fine lists. We love the 190E comp especially, although it's got one glaring fault: the freakin' Deftones? While a coked-out junior exec might've listened to those puds back in the mid '90s, he'd be driving a 3-series. There's no way his 1980s counterpart would've been listening to them, which is too bad, because otherwise, that playlist sums the poor sap up perfectly. Plus, we're from Sacto and we we remember that at least half the band was pretty jerky and they acted like rockstars (in a bad way) before they ever had a record deal. Otherwise, fantastic effort. As for the SLR list? Well, who can't picture tooling through the French countryside in such a car, listening to such music? Wonderfully evocative, sir. Great job.