Should There Be A Standard User Interface For Cars?

By now, most of you realize that I'm an idea man. My mind takes the nutrient-rich paste editor Hardigree euphemistically calls "food" when he shoves it into my work-pod, and turns it into pure, unadulterated ideas. Of course, 90% of the resulting ideas are total crap, and of the remaining 10%, 90% of those are ideas for… » 12/20/12 12:00pm 12/20/12 12:00pm

The New iPad Mini Will Fit Almost Perfectly In Your Dash

I don't know if this was clever planning by someone at Apple, or just happy chance, but it looks like that new iPad Mini we're all so excited about (sort of like how the world lost its shit at the release of fun-sized Oreos) is almost exactly the right size to fit into many car's dashboards easily. » 10/23/12 2:20pm 10/23/12 2:20pm

What's This Button Do?

I was just in a very interesting car for an upcoming Jalopnik Classic review, and I noticed this control on the dash. Now, in a classic car, you often encounter symbols that are a bit different from the standard set almost every car uses now. I quickly flipped through my Mental Dash Control Symbols chart and came up… » 8/10/12 1:30pm 8/10/12 1:30pm

The Sad Death Of The Knob, Switch And Button

I want to start by coming out and saying I'm not one of those car luddites who think everything should hover in some magical past; while I'm very fond of old-school cars, there's an amazing amount of amazing new tech in cars, and LCD dashboards in so many new cars here at the Detroit Auto Show are a genuinely great… » 1/11/12 12:00pm 1/11/12 12:00pm

Daihatsu Creates 3D Holographic Dashboard, Apparently

Daihatsu has been working with a supplier to create a 3D holographic display for the dashboard of its futuristic cars. The idea is to have a 2D setup similar to a traditional dashboard that can then project a 3D image into space to create driver awareness of impending safety issues. While it sounds as if using this… » 3/27/08 12:30pm 3/27/08 12:30pm

Car Clocks Through The Ages

Car clocks are cool- I've been eyeballing some nice ones at the junkyard lately as I contemplate my next junkyard-obsessed project- so it's nice to see an article about some of the nicer vehicle clocks over the years. From an 1822 carriage clock to a modern-day Mercedes timepiece, you'll get a nice slice of car-clock… » 6/18/07 11:00am 6/18/07 11:00am