So Crash Week has shuddered, crunched and rolled end-over-end to a close, just as the IIHS released high-res photos of the '59 Bel Air/'09 Malibu crash test that started it all. Let's look at the pics below and reflect.
While there was some controversy over the legitimacy of the Insurance Institute's 50th anniversary crash test, it's hard to argue that today's cars are exactly what the crash test attempted to show — safer in a collision. During Crash Week we looked at all sorts of crashes, some of which engineers could plan for, some not, and we took a look at the history of auto safety itself. As Crash Week continued, it became apparent that just because today's cars are safer doesn't mean the safety argument is over.
After all, Crash Week was also our Guide To Bad Driving, and with our World Atlas of Bad Driving we saw, time and time again, that there is no way to eliminate crashes brought on by plain old stupid driving. Therefore, Jalopnik continues to advocate thorough and continued driver education — as well as just being calm, being continuously aware of traffic and your car and of course, hanging up the damn phone while you drive. Guidelines which, of course, we know all our faithful readers adhere to, right? Because if Crash Week has reinforced just one of our beliefs, it's that it's always the other guy.
In case you missed any of Jalopnik's Crash Week, here it all is:
• Jalopnik Crash Week Begins: 1959 Chevy Vs. 2009 Chevy
• Abandoned Seaplane At Critical Intersection Of Planelopnik, Crash Week
• Do Not Read and Drive
• Yes, The IIHS-Crashed '59 Chevy Had An Engine
• Ten Most Confusing Google Street View Accidents
• Corvette ZHZ Survives Crash Week... For Now
• World Atlas Of Bad Driving: Europe
• McLaren SLR Crashes, Destroys Surrounding Cars In Ferrari Street Race
• How Police Investigate A Car Crash Scene Safely
• Backwards Truck Paint Job Would Make Anyone Slow Down
• School Bus Plunges Into Pond With Swim Team On Board
• Head-On Crash Caught On Dash Cam
• Romanian Drivers Get Another Kind Of Urine Test
• Child Safety Has Come A Long Way, Baby
• World Atlas Of Bad Driving: Asia
• Little Girl Miraculously Survives Terrifying Crash In Washington
• World's Fastest Super Car Crashes
• World Atlas Of Bad Driving: The Middle East
• Volvo Smashing Electric Cars To Test Next Gen Safety
• Dublin's Nominee For Worst Driver, Luckiest Pedestrian
• What Car Makes You Feel Safe?
• From Benz To Bumpers: A Brief History Of Auto Safety
• EXCLUSIVE: The Most Spectacular WRC Crashes ...In HD
• Dutchman Flips Tractor Trailer While Masturbating, Doesn't Stop
• Nissan GT-R Smashes Through Newspaper Boxes
• Crash Your Rolls Into A Supermarket, Get 16 Months In Jail
• Top Twelve Stupid Car Crashes Caught On Video
• 2010 Porsche Panamera Crashes, Joins Cool Club
• A Treasury Of Spec Miata Wrecks
• What's It Like When Your Mazda Sheds A Wheel On The Race Track?
• Should We Consider Crashes Inevitable?
• Mean Mopar Streets: Harvey Keitel Versus David Proval!
• They're The World's Most Expensive Cars- Let's SMASH 'EM UP!