What he have here in the 2010 Peugeot 5008 is a luxury minivan aimed squarely at the upmarket Euro-van segment. With a spacious interior and a snappy exterior it's got potential to win quite a few takers.
The Peugeot 5008 packs a lot into a relatively small footprint with seating for seven with reclining seat backs, adjustable legroom for the center seats, panoramic glass roof, entertainment options and all the modern amenities. The van gets six different powertrain configurations between two 1.6 liter gas motors rated at 120 HP with a manual five speed and a 156 HP with a six speed manual. There are three different tunes of diesel, a 1.6 liter at 110 HP with a manual or auto option, and two 2.0 liter fours at 150 HP with a six-speed manual and 163 HP with a six-speed auto. Yes, yes, we know, they get minivans with manual transmissions, we're miffed too.
The 5008 will be making it's worldwide debut at the upcoming Frankfurt Motor Show, until then complete press release below:
PEUGEOT 5008 - A NEW AND INNOVATIVE PEOPLE CARRIER
* New compact people-carrier joins the Peugeot range
* Available in five and seven seat versions
* Includes a range of innovative features
* Extends the Peugeot range of choice and reintroduces the "5" series back into the Peugeot range
With the 5008, Peugeot reintroduces one of its most famous series of vehicles – the "5" series. Previous models carrying the "5" series label have included the legendary Peugeot 504 and the great family favourite the Peugeot 505 Family estate. In its day the Peugeot 505 Family estate was the bench mark seven-seat family car and it is this position Peugeot aims to repeat with the introduction of the new Peugeot 5008.
The 5008, with a length of 4.53m and a height of 1.64m, will accommodate like its predecessor, seven occupants and their luggage. Flexibility is also a key strength of the 5008 with an innovative "flat-folding" rear seat arrangement which enables all the rear passenger seats to be folded away into the floor maximising the load area.
An Innovative Interior Designed For an Active Lifestyle
The driver of the 5008 will benefit from a raised driving position which gives excellent visibility, combined with ergonomically positioned controls. With its large front windscreen (1.70m²) and the large panoramic glass roof (1.69m²), passengers will benefit from a bright interior with an exceptional panoramic view of the outside. Adding the side windows, the rear quarter panel windows and the rear windscreen, the glazed surface area totals 5.77m².
Spacious is certainly no understatement when it comes to describing the interior of 5008. It has a front elbow width of 1476mm, 1520mm across the three individual seats in the second row and 1341mm in the third row. Leg room is also generous, as is headroom, which means tall passengers can be accommodated without difficulty.
All three seats in the second row are identical and can be reclined and moved forwards and backwards over a distance of 130mm. They can also be folded individually into the passenger compartment floor to form a flat surface perfectly aligned with the rear loading sill. The front passenger seat can also be folded flat into a shelf configuration, it is therefore possible to load long objects as far as the fascia panel. The effective load length in this configuration (all seats folded away and the front passenger seat folded flat in the shelf position) is 2.76m.
The ‘cinema' positioning of the second row outer seats also allows easy access to the occupants of the third row seats. In one easy movement, the seat cushion lifts and the seat back moves forward, freeing up the maximum space for those wishing to get into the car. This innovative modularity is also in evidence in the third row, where the two full size seats also fold individually into the rear floor.
A Large Load Area
The load area of the 5008 is very practical and easy to use thanks to its rectangular shape. Depending on the position of the sliding rear seats, it offers a generous capacity, ranging from 758 litres to 823 litres under the parcel shelf with the third row seats folded away. This capacity increases to 1247 litres when the rear parcel shelf is removed and the vehicle is loaded to the roof and to 2506 litres with the second row seats folded away as well, making it one of the largest in the sector.
For families who are always in search of extra space, particularly when going off on holiday, a range of storage spaces on both sides of the passenger compartment can easily accommodate their different requirements. At the front, particularly large door pockets supplement the space provided by the glove box, the storage area under the steering wheel, and the ingenious design of the ‘cooled' centre console with a capacity of 10.5 litres. Rear second row passengers can benefit from storage areas in the floor as well as the rear door pockets. Other storage spaces for sundry items are also available throughout the passenger compartment for the use of the driver and passengers, including those in the third row.
Finally, 60 litres of storage space is available in the five seat version under the rear load area carpet, confirmation that every space has been exploited to the full to offer superb practicality in day to day use.
The Rear Multimedia System
To make long journeys more enjoyable, the 5008 offers second row passengers a multimedia system which is perfectly integrated into the passenger compartment.
It consists of two 7'' colour screens located in the back of the front seat head restraints; a connection console enables the connection of different types of mobile audio/video equipment and two Bluetooth wireless headsets. It is also possible to connect two different video sources simultaneously, making each screen independent in terms of the image being shown.
Avant-Garde Technologies for Enhanced Safety
The 5008 will set new standards for safety and driving comfort with the introduction of a range of new and innovative technologies into the compact people carrier segment:
* Head-Up Display - provides essential driving information (speed, cruise control/speed limiter and distance alert) via a translucent panel which extends from the top of the instrument panel. The driver can, therefore, view this information as though it was being projected on to the windscreen, and therefore not take their eyes off the road ahead. This equipment, innovative at this level of the market, enhances primary safety and driving convenience.
* The Distance Alert - a radar located behind the lower front bumper panel measures the distance between the vehicle in front and then transmits this data as a measurement of time in seconds, to the head-up display. The system, which can be set to maintain a distance of between 0.9s and 2.5s (the time it would take to safely respond to the vehicle in front if it were to brake etc..), informs the driver if he is driving too close to the car in front. As this equipment is non-intrusive, the driver remains in control of the vehicle at all times. This feature is still rare on vehicles of this type and efficiently complements the speed limiter and cruise control for safety.
* Snow Motion - adds a further function to the traditional traction control system, allowing the driver to move off and make effective progress on icy or snow-covered roads. It is activated automatically and is even more efficient when combined with snow tyres.
* Head / Curtain Air Bag - covering all three rows of seats is available on seven seat versions. Operating with a single generator, it is activated at the same time as the side air bags to optimise the safety of all occupants.
* Comprehensive Safety Equipment - ESP, six air bags, automatic electric parking brake with ‘hill assist' function, fasten seat belt warnings on all seats, tyre under-inflation detection, are some of the key features equipping the 5008 to enhance comfort, convenience and driveability.
Dynamic Road Holding at No Cost to Comfort
Peugeot engineers have worked extensively to provide the 5008 with both safe and engaging road holding comparable to that of a saloon car, while maintaining a high level of comfort and convenience as demanded by the users of people carriers.
The front suspension is a pseudo McPherson arrangement with a drop link anti-roll bar, with a rear torsion beam specially developed from the Group's ‘Platform Two' vehicles, at the rear
Tyres with low rolling resistance have also been developed in 16'' and 17'' versions, while 18'' tyres are available to devotees of a more ‘sporty' driving style.
Latest-generation equipment to assist the driver
The 5008 will be available with a range of new and innovative technology including front and rear parking assistance and a new system which measures an available parking space. This function, controlled by two sensors located on the sides of the bumpers, provides a visual indication on the multifunction display of the possibility of parking in the space and the suggested manoeuvre.
A Comprehensive Range of Environmentally-Friendly Engines
At launch the 5008 will be available with six power-train options, combining performance and fuel economy with reduced CO2 emissions:
SOfficial Presentation at the Frankfurt Motor Show
The 5008 will receive its world premiere at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show and will go on sale in the UK at the beginning of 2010.