We don't know how this flew under the our radar our entire lives. We don't know how regular the events are or how high the body count is, but we know we want in. This might be the greatest drunken idea to get off the ground ever. In fact, it's well documented many a beer was involved in the invention of this sport of kings. Born from the twisted brain of the above pictured "Sidecar Willy" in 1988, the American National Unimotorcyclists Society (yes, the A.N.U.S.) operates during Daytona Bike Week and features home built drag racers of the single wheel variety. The rules are simple, one wheel, 100 feet, fastest time wins. The A.N.U.S also has a list of ten commandments which serve to keep the contestants honest and the sport cheap and pure. All that is well and good, but the archival video documenting the progression the art should not be missed.
The Ten Commandments of A.N.U.S.
1. Thou shalt only race from a standing stop to the end of a 100-foot strip, which is constructed of an unpaved surface. Winner having the fastest time.
2. Thou shalt only use one wheel.
3. Thou shalt only use a power plant that is over five-years-old.
4. Thou shalt only use a power plant that is stock for whatever its intended use was.
5. Thou shalt not exceed the size limit of four feet in width, or eight feet in length.
6. Thou shalt compete in any of these classes:
A-Class: 750cc to unlimited
B-Class: 400cc to 749cc
C-Class: 200cc to 399cc
D-Class: Occ to 199cc
F-Class: Rocket Class (strictly exhibition)
7. Thou shalt employ a "Deadman's Switch," which will render the beast inoperable in the event that the pilot is launched.
8. Thou shalt consider steering and brakes optional.
9. Thou shalt not touch the ground forward of the axle during any run.
10. Thou shalt touch the ground only rear of the axle during any run, but may not exceed size limitations
Feel free to visit their website (beware the ad heavy service provider) HERE where you can take a look at the historical records. time slips, pictures. Heck you can even buy and A.N.U.S. t-shirt. Imagine the looks you get with that one the next time you visit the local drag strip.