So we realized last night that Wert's gonna have to get some sleep, and last night he tried. Unfortunately, when he's ingested four Starbucks doppio espressos in a 6 hour period — it's much more difficult than just "going to sleep." And no, the liquor didn't help much either. But, since it worked so well for him yesterday — we've dropped a couple of double shots down our Detroit man's throat — and sent him out to do his task, because there's now only 24 hours to go before the big Cruise starts. So with that, here's his last daily pre-Cruise update before the big day. Remember that you can check out where he's been and keep up with all that's to come by checking out the mini-site we've set up for the live-blogging tomorrow of the world's largest one-day classic cruise in the world, or if you'd prefer, here's a tech-friendly feed for your fave reader. With that said, click the jump for Wert's remaining 24 hours covering classic cars:
• We now know the answer to the question "How much is a jaywalking ticket in Royal Oak?" — and the answer is $35. Don't do it, dudes...use a cross-walk during the Dream Cruise.
• There's a private viewing of the REX timerunner day planner auto collection today — Wert's gonna be trying to crash it and get some pictures for you.
• We actually agree with Daniel Howes this morning. We never thought we'd be saying this...and it's very difficult for us to say, but...Howes...is...absolutely...right. There, that wasn't too difficult. Ok, maybe it was.
• What is with The Car Connection finally starting to cover the Dream Cruise on Friday? Where were they all week?
• We almost had the chance to ride in the Camaro trailer yesterday — but like all cruising on Woodward Avenue, when it's two days out — it's pretty much impossible to actually cruise the Avenue's so packed. [Thanks to GM/Chevy race babe Jan Thomas for trying, though!]
• If for some reason you want to get away from the Dream Cruise — the Detroit News can tell you how not to be here.
• So where's the place to be tonight? It's gotta be the General's exhibits in front of Athens Coney Island — they're opening 'em up early for the public at 6:30 pm this evening. Wert'll be there at 6:30, and so should you. In case you're looking for Wert today, he'll be at the Starbucks on Woodward and 13 Mile Rd. from around 6:00 AM until noon. After that, he'll be like a roaming gnome — except 6'3" — so e-mail him at email@example.com to find out.
By the way, in case you're wondering — the picture's of the new traffic "Crow's Nest" installed this year down in Ferndale at 9 Mile Rd. and Woodward.
All our 2006 Woodward Dream Cruise coverage [internal]